Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Abacus1234 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

How to format text in a text box or label

I am designing a form with a few text boxes and much static information. I cannot control the format of text in a text box or label. Not had much luck with a memo field either. Am I missing something obvious?
    Thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What format do you want?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The text boxes themselves have a Format Property. You can see this in Design View if you highlight the textbox/label and bring up the Properties. It is on the "Format" tab.

If you are having problems trying to format something a very particular way, please explain to us the exact format you are trying to apply.

when I enter text, I can't use enter or tab, so I am using the control bar to move to the end of a row of text and go to the next row. But the last word of the text moves down a row (for no good reason).

June7 is online now VIP
    Are you trying to input multi-line text? Why can't you use enter or tab? Have you considered the EnterKeyBehavior property of textbox? What control bar? I don't understand 'last word of text moves down a row'.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Enter or tab do not work in a label or text box or a memo field with RTF chosen. When I have tried to get my cursor to the start of a new line, after fiddling with it, the last word of the line moves down to the next line, I do not know why.

Hi JoeM,
    Thanks for response. I am just entering text, (which I now understand should be called navigating) Enter of tab do not work, so using the space bar to get to the end of the row to move to next line, after fiddling with arrow keys and anything I can think of to enter the text, the last word of the line I am working on pops itself down on to the next line. I have tried backspace and delete to move the text where I want it to be, but some other hand than mine is moving the text around. very frustrating, must be my ineptness, surely it cannot be Access?????

June7 is online now VIP
    Well, label isn't a dynamic control anyway so should be irrelevent. I've never used RTF in my dbs so not really familiar with quirks. Seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Hi June7,

How would you add large amounts of static data to a form, (it might look like a government document). With just a few check boxes here and there to be checked off.

Thanks, appreciate the help.

June7 is online now VIP
    No, entering text is not navigating. You must have read my first post before I edited it.

Are you printing form instead of report?

I am using the form to collect the check box data, which needs the context of all the static text I am trying to enter.

June7 is online now VIP
    If by 'static' you mean just explanatory info on the form or report and not data in a table somewhere, I just type a very long caption in label control.

could I put "carriage return" in a label caption? Would you know?

I see now that when I think I am typing into some kind of text box, I am really typing into the label control or Control Source of text box. So I can do a lot of single lines, that look like a paragraph. Or go back and try the memo field again. I just don't need to keep all the informational stuff in a database.

June7 is online now VIP
    AFAIK, cannot force CR and LF in label caption. Can just size the control so that text wraps to multiple lines.

Can force CR and LF in textbox. Example:

="test" & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & "test2"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.