Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I'm going over the DB you attached and it looks like there were a few things I forgot about when coming up with my recommended structure: Namely employee departments and qualifications.

Are you interested in tracking what department an employee worked in for each period?

How exactly do the qualifications work? Is it a simple tiered system where if you have "Level 2", you automatically have "Level 1" as well? Or is it possible, for example, to have "Level 2" and "Level 3" qualifications but not "Level 1"?

And are you interested in tracking the employee qualifications for each period?

MFS is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    ☺ Yes, I am wanting to track the dept. the employee worked in for any given period. So if I query Jane Doe, week ending 02/01/2015, I will see that she worked in Lamination that week and she had 7 hours of OT. She may have also worked in cutting during that week as well. ( Query Results Example: Jane Doe, 2/1/2015, Worked in Lamination &Cutting, 7 Hours Of Overtime, Qualifications = Level 1 )
    ☺ Yes, simple and "Generic" Level 1, Level 2, Level 3
    ☺ Yes, When I query Jane's week it will show that she is at Level 1, 2 or 3

Rawb is offline Expert
    In your example, you say that Jane worked in Lamination and possibly also in Cutting for the week. Can you expand on that more? Are (any of) the employees "floaters" that don't have a set Department? Or are they typically assigned to a specific Department and then might do additional work in a different Department if needed?

None of this would effect the login Form and how it loads the data entry Form for the Coordinators, but it will effect how the data Entry Form itself works.

Okay, It's Wednesday afternoon, quitting time for Jane, her Coordinator stops her at the time clock and states that Cutting needs some additional manpower for the remainder of the week and possibly next week as well. She accepts the temporary assignment and reports to Cutting on Thursday. Now During the Friday morning communication meeting the Coordinator explains to the group that he will be needing 4 associates to work overtime this weekend. And prints the OT sheet
    from the prior work week from the database then starts with the employees that worked the least amount of OT the week before, asking if they could cover. Jane is listed as 3rd from the bottom, she only worked 2 hours the week before in
    Lamination, and it is now showing under the Cutting Coordinators OT sheet because she is reporting to him at this time. (Jane knows that being she only worked 2 hours the week before that she can be forced to work this weekend)
    Note: This example is very far from ever really happening, maybe once or twice a year, but does happen from time to time. Generally when an employee reports to Lamination they are permanently reporting to lamination. And if they are temporarily transfered her Lamination Coordinator will speak with the Cutting Coordinator about how much OT she had put in working under cutting. Her OT will follow her throughout the plant but only her Coordinator can view and or alter it.

Again Rawb, I am very Thankful for your help and support.

Rawb, I hope you are still interested in helping me with this project. What can I be doing??

Rawb is offline Expert
    I apologize for not communicating with you earlier. Around the first of the month is typically fairly hectic for me (and around the 16th).

I've actually had your logon Form set up for a couple days, I've just been trying to get something in place to automatically pre-populate the records when the DB is opened. That way, the Coordinators don't have to manually enter records for all of their employees each week.

I've attached a copy of what I have so far along with some dummy data.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rawb; 02-04-2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Typos, yay!

Rawb,
    I had a brief moment to review the DB that you put together for me and my initial response is, "This is Fantastic" this is exactly what I was looking for. I can build off of this. For some reason I just could not figure out how to do this on my own.
    I'm very interested in seeing how you plan to Pre-populate the records, Maybe a Drop Down Box or Query. I'm definatley going to need your help for this. The Regular hours could stay at 40. OT hours should change to 0 and the Start and End Period should change accordingly. This seems very confusing.

Rawb is offline Expert
    speck,

Glad you're happy with it so far and I'd be happy to continue helping out as I can.

I can easily change the system so that it defaults to 40 regular and 0 OT hours. Also, let me know if the week beginning/ending dates need to be changed - right now Monday is set to be the first day of the week.

As for pre-populating the records, I was thinking a simple piece of code that looks for records with the current week's ending data. If it didn't find any, it would run a Query that would create the Records. That could be done in either the Login form or the Employee Hours Form. Employees working outside their "default" Department would still need to be manually entered by the Coordinator though.

Thank You for wanting to help.
    Monday should be the 1st day of the week, so moving forward I would keep that as is.
    Pre-populating, that sounds like an interesting way.
    Again, I truly appreciate your help you are providing to me. I know if you can support me with these last few items I will be able to write my queries and reports.
    Thank You

newbieX is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I am following this thread with great interest and hope to keep copies of the before and after DB so that I too may turn this into a learning experience. Please post the final product so that I can also get benefit from this posting. I love this forum. It is so much better than StackOverflow. Kudos to the Experts. You are an invaluable resource for all us newbies. I, for one, truly appreciate your efforts.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Here's another update now that I've had some time to work on things.

This version includes the following changes:
    1. Employees Table
      • Changed the Column Department to Department_ID.
      • Changed the Column Qualifications to Qualification_ID.

2. Timesheet Table
      • I have removed all default values. This will make entering data directly into the Table more difficult, but made adding Records using the Employee Timesheet Form easier.
      • I have removed all Column lookups. Since you can now use the Employee Timesheet Form to add Records, this is no longer needed. And it was poor form to have it in the first place.
      • Removed all Relationships to the other Tables.

3. Logon Form
      • Coordinators can now only logon successfully if their Coordinators.Active Column is set to True (checked).

4. Employee Timesheet Form
      • Coordinators now only see dates in the Period Ending combo box where at least one Employees worked for them that week.
      • The first time any Coordinator logs in each week, new records are created for each Employee based on the Coordinators_x_Employees lookup Table.
      • You can now add Records using the Form!
      • When adding new Records, the following default values are assigned by the Form:
        • Regular Hours: 40
        • OT Hours: 0
        • Period_Start: The start of the current view's week (controlled by the Period Ending combo box).
        • Period_End: The current value of the Period Ending combo box.
        • Department: The value of the selected Employee's Employee.Department_ID Column.
        • Qualifications: The value of the selected Employee's Employee.Qualification_ID Column.

• Employees cannot be created if they have the same Coordinator_ID, Employee_ID, Period_Start, Period_End, and Department_ID as another record in the Timesheet Table.
      • Coordinators can now only add Employees if the Employee's Employees.Active Column is set to True (checked).

All that needs to be done now is to create the various Administrative forms for adding new Coordinators and Employees, changing Coordinator/Employee Assigmnents, etc. You should be able to take it from here, but if you have ANY questions at all, don't hesitate to ask!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rawb,
    This is so awesome, exactly what I have been trying to accomplish.
    I wish there was some way I could repay the favor.
    Thank You again,
    Speck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.