SethG is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

HELP!! Report is changing the order of my database contacts

Hello,

I have a report that I am trying to create in my database. The database is based off of the "Contacts" sample database that Access provides and I have made modifications to it.

Here is my problem. In my 'contacts' table I have all of the contacts ordered the way I like them (See the first image below). The image below shows my table with a subset of names of individuals that work for a branch called "biorepositories" which are highlighted. I generated a query to pull specific information form the table that I wanted in the report (even here the contact names are ordered correctly when I run the query). I generated a report (it is a web compatible report it that helps to solve the problem) and added a "Group" for the contacts based on the branch that they work for. However, if you take a look at the contact names in the second image you will see that two of the names are out of order. Helen should be the first name listed, but instead Abhi is the first name listed. Also Deborah should be the last name in the group but Latarsha is listed as the last name.

How do I get these names to appear correctly on my report? What is causing these couple of names to suddenly change order without direction? Any help would be great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contactsdb1.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	19396Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contactsdb2.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	19397

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Since you have group by in the report, need to also set sort by. The table/query sort order is ignored when using report grouping & sorting.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

SethG is offline Novice
    That did the trick, Thank you. Any advice on how to re-order my groups? right now, "administrative Resource Center" is first, followed by "Biorepositories". The sorting is alphabetical. However, I really want "Office of the Associate Director" to be the first group of contacts listed. Do you know how I can make that happen?

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Would need another identifier field to group by. How many groups are there? Those are long group names. Do you have a table of Groups with an ID field? Maybe group by that ID field or create another field in the table to use as the group criteria.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

SethG is offline Novice
    I'll give it a try. I thought that was what I would have to do. Thanks a bunch.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Do you have a Sort field or equivalent? If the name of the office is not appropriate, then consider a separate field and put in the values you want for sorting.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.