Voodeux2014 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Access and Active Directory...

I ran a search through the forums and didn't quite find what I was looking for. Here is what I am trying to do. I would like to be able to have Active Directory and Access 2013 go hand in hand. Make a change in Active Directory and it automatically show up in Access and vice versa. I am sure it is possible and I am sure there is code out there somewhere already. I am not trying to find a cheap way and just have someone send me some code. I would like to find some instructional videos or something to teach me how it works and what each bit of code means. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't think making a change in Active Directory will automatically show in Access unless that change involves a table and Access has link to that table.

I know code in Access can manipulate Active Directory. I have seen databases set up just for that purpose.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Voodeux2014 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Thanks again for the information June..it seems everytime I make a post you are the first to respond.

Thanks pbaldy, that is a very informative chunk of information. It gives me a good outline of many functions and what not. Now on to the steps to actually implementing it in to where I can have the table created from Active Directory on open of the Front End of the DB.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodeux2014 View Post
    ...It gives me a good outline of many functions and what not. Now on to the steps to actually implementing it in to where I can have the table created from Active Directory on open of the Front End of the DB.
    It sounds like you're trying to actually store data in AD. If that's the case (and if it's even possible), I cannot possibly stress how bad of an idea that is! Adding that kind of data to AD is a Bad Idea - if anything gets corrupted, you could take down the entire network, requiring a rebuild of your entire domain.

It's certainly possible to use AD for user authentication and access control though if that's what you're looking for.

P.S.
    If you're looking for a better way to store the back-end data, I'd recommend going with an actual RDBMS, such as Microsoft's SQL Server Express.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.