accessnewbie352 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Bringing Footer Up in Form

I am trying to bring my footer up to the rest of the form - I have tried dragging it and adjusting in Design View but the in Form view, the footer still ends up being all the way at the bottom of the screen, leaving me with a lot of white space between the "detail" of the form and the "footer". Is there another way to adjust so I can bring the footer higher to get rid of the white space? Maybe something I am missing in the Property Sheet?

Additionally, I am trying to draw a straight line between the header, the detail and the form footer but the line does not seem to drag down. I have created 3 different lines and aligned them but still not very "pretty" in form view. Is there a way to add a line that can go directly down?

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Sounds like the Document Window Options is set to the default of 'Tabbed Documents.' Changing this option to Overlapping Windows basically causes many things in Form Design to act like they did pre-2007, including, I suspect, being able to make the adjustment you desire. Not sure exactly where to look for this option, in v2010 (the 'Boys of Redmond' appear to enjoy changing some very basic items, like the Office Suites' Office Button or Windows 'Start' Button, just for the heck of it!) but in v2007 you'd

1. Go to Office Button (Big Icon, Top/Left)
    2. Click on Access Options (bottom, right of Dialog Box)
    3. Click on Current Database
    4. Under Document Window Options tick Overlapping Windows
    5. Click on OK (Bottom, Right)
    6. Close the Messagebox, then Close and Re-open Access

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Actually that didn't help - there is still a lot of space in between the "details" and the "footer" even though in design view i have dragged the footer all the way up. Still experiencing the same problem

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    'Tabbed Documents.' Changing this option to Overlapping Windows in A2010:

1. Click on FILE in the menu (top left)
    2. Click on OPTIONS (just above EXIT)
    3. Click on Current Database in left hand pane
    4. Under Applications Options, look for Document Window Options, tick Overlapping Windows
    5. Click on OK (Bottom, Right)
    6. Close the Message box, then Close and Re-open Access

As to the white space, I still don't understand what you are looking for. If the form is in Continuous Forms, I can set the header at 1", the footer at 1" and the detail section at 0.25" - if there is not enough records to fill the details section, there will be blank (white or gray or ...) space.

If the form is in Single Forms, I can set the header at 1", the footer at 1" and the detail section at 0.25" - but the detail section expands to fill the remaining space. The only way I have found to reduce the unused (white or gray or ...) space is to shrink the window (not maximized)

Maybe post a picture so we can see what you are trying to accomplish?

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Thanks for the v2010 steps, Steve! I've added those instruction to my archive file!

As to the problem at hand...the OP speaks of adding what sounds like perpendicular Lines

Quote Originally Posted by accessnewbie352 View Post

...I am trying to draw a straight line between the header, the detail and the form footer...
    and any Control on a Form, including Lines, will prevent a Section from being shrunk past the trailing point of that Control. In other words, the Section has to allow the entire Control to be displayed, and Lines can be kind of hard to see, in Design View. I've seen this be the problem, before, when a Section 'refuses' to be sized smaller.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

The form is continuous but and I have the Detail section set at height = 0.333"", footer is set at height = 0.6354". I tried making the detail and the footer smaller but it looks to be locked (smallest height I can enter are the .333 and .6354. It sounds like it might indeed be that there are not enough "values" to fill the detail space but I already have all of the values I need in the detail section. Is there another way to make the white space go away?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I tried making the detail and the footer smaller
    The detail section can not be smaller than the largest (vertical size) control in the detail.

<snip>Detail section set at height = 0.333" <snip>
    I just set the detail section in a test form to 0.2292", with the height of 6 text boxes at 0.1875".

Without seeing your dB, the only way I know to shrink the white (unused) in the detail space is to make the form shorter (smaller).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.