accessnewbie352 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Change Field Direction in Form

Hello, I am trying to create a form with the fields going across (horizontally). I have tried using the form wizard using tabular, columnar and etc but each time the wizard generates either single view (1 field per page) or the fields going down in a column format. How do I create a continuous view form with all of the data going across horizontally?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean by fields going across? Fields already go across. Do you mean you want the data from a single column to be transposed to horizontal?

This is de-normalizing data. The resulting form RecordSource will not be editable. Why do you want this on a form? Why not a report?

If a CROSSTAB query cannot accomplish then review: https://www.accessforums.net/program...ias-21972.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Yes I want the data to go across horizontally. I want to do a form mainly because I would like to eventually create a calculation so that the user can enter a number at the end of the form and everything will re-calculate based off of the user's new value (i.e., create a box for the user to enter in a percentage - and then have all of the calculations on the form to calculate * [percentage]). I was under the impression that only forms can achieve this since reports are not editable?

June7 is offline VIP
    Probably easier on form. Report in Report View, not Print Preview, has some limited dynamic capability. Even with Print Preview, report could be closed and reopened to calc with the revised parameter.

Did you review the referenced link and get some idea of available techniques?

Since you have Access 2010, still have functionality to build Pivot Tables/Forms. Perhaps that would serve your requirement.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

"Probably easier on form. Report in Report View, not Print Preview, has some limited dynamic capability. Even with Print Preview, report could be closed and reopened to calc with the revised parameter."

^ If I am making one calculation to all of the fields - do you recommend using form or report then? I have having so much trouble trying to create the form that I think report might be easier now...but I know there will be limited interactive capabilities. Is it possible to create a report, have some sort of input option to include the [percentage] and then generate a new report (or updated report) automatically? I am a new access user so I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to do this without having to build too many macros/queries.

For pivot tables - I have tried that option as well but it is severely limited in formatting options and slows the database down a bit.

June7 is offline VIP
    "Automatically" means need code. A report open in Report View can be 'refreshed/requeried' either by clicking RefreshAll from the ribbon or by code in some event.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.