dsasorin is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Beginner - 3 tables in 3 loops

Hi !

I am a beginner to databeses, and particulary to MS Access 2003. (althought I passed the first lessons)
    I want to make a small database with possibility to grow up. (max. 100 entries for a table)
    I think that in my case the data must be structured like loop into loop.
    Like that:

Year:
    etc.

Plant:

plant_1
    plant_2
    plant_3
    etc.

Generator:
    gen_1
    gen_2
    gen_3
    etc.

So for every Year it must exist some Power Plants, and for every Power Plant it must exist some Generators.
    I already have made 3 tables: YEAR, PLANT, GENERATOR with data in it.
    So, few questions arise:

1. Is my algorithm any good (to consider 3 loops one in another for database) ?
    2. If my algorithm is good, how should it be done the relationship between tables ?

That is for start. Later i must make queries, input data, some logical comparison, etc.
    So i must do right from the beginning. I admit that my database must be done for 8 loops, not 3, but if i understand for 3, the same it will be for 8.

Thanks in advance for help !

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You are correct in wanting to get the table design correct to start out with. The tables you've described so far are what I would consider "lookup" tables, not transaction tables. In other words, one would have your list of available plants, the other available generators (I'm not sure I would have a table for years, but I guess that's dependent on the overall goal).

I'm not sure what you mean by "loops". It would help to know what purpose the database is meant to serve. I might guess that you would add a transactional table, which might contain fields for the year, plant, generator, and perhaps some sort of activity level (kilowatts generated or some such thing).
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

dsasorin is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The goal is to make a growing database (a programm) with inputs like year2010/powerplant 3/generator1/ .... or year 2012/powerplant7/generator3 and so on ...

Then, the programm must have a simple user interface with those inputs. In the database tables i must asign diferent numbers (points) on specific tasks of the generator for example, and after a logical comparison and arithmetic calculations, it must result a number of points. So i need to input/select new data, to see/select old data, and after that i need a result (number of points) which coresponds to a certain ANSWER, introduced in the very beginning of the database (i.e. THE GENERATOR IS GOOD), also a table, i think.

So, the purpose of the database is to find the state of the generator, based on the actions or the maintenance work made on each generator from database, and a new one.
    The criteria is based on those points and arithmetic calculations.

Yeap, you gave me a tip with lookup tables. Right now i pass to the next step for learning Access: lookup tables !

Thank you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.