toollady22 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Calculating elasped time

I have been trying to create an employee time card with the fields: start/ finish/hrsworked/rate/totalpay on a test database. So far I think I have figured out how to accomplish the hours worked but it displays as time (5:00) I presume that is why I can not calculate the totalpay because that is currency. I have even attempted to make a query for that textbox on the form but to no avail. Help I am still learning

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is hrsworked a calculated field? The elapsed time should be calculated with the start and finish fields using DateDiff function. The result should be a decimal hours value. Show the expression that calculates hrsworked.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Like this:

Note that DateDiff() is very literal in its calculations. If you use the Interval for Hours (h) it simply subtracts the two hours, so if StartTime is 12:00 (noon) and the EndTime is 13:59, then

Datediff("h",StartTime, EndTime)

will return 1 hour, because 13-12 = 1, although you're actually talking about 1 hour and 59 minutes. So what you have to do is use the Interval for Minutes (n) and then parse it into hours and fraction of hours.

So, the syntax of

Format(DateDiff("n", StartTime, EndTime) / 60,"0.00")

will return 1.98 hours.

Also note that using Format() to limit the returned time to two decimal places actually returns this as Text, and if you are going to do more math with the elapsed time you may have to convert it back to a Number, using something like CDbl(). I say 'maybe' because Access can be flexible in this area; sometimes if it looks like a Number it will be treated like a Number.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.