Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lynn is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Subform won't display in main form

Hi,
    I created a subform in my main form. When I open the main form, the subform doesn't show, it's just a blank area. If I change the view on the subform to datasheet it shows up but it won't show in form view. What am I missing? I can see it fine in design view.
    Lynn

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Are there NO records in the RecordSource of the SubForm and do you have AllowAdditions set to NO? That will cause what you describe.

Lynn is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Subform won't show

Thanks,
    I do have records in the RecordSource and Allow Additions are set at yes. I put in a switchboard to open the form, would that have something to do with it?
    Lynn

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Probably. Does it open differently when you open it directly?

Lynn is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Yeah it opens but shows old records. I deleted the switchboard and changed a couple of the start up actions but it's still invisible. The subform is made up of some fields from a table and a couple of calculations from a query. That shouldn't matter?
    Lynn

Windows 7 Access 2007
    You don't want it to show old records?

Lynn is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I'm using the form for input only, I've got reports that show me what I need to know from old records. Too bad I can't paste the silly thing on here so you can see what's happening.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    This site allows attachments. What is stopping you? Use the Post Reply button or Advanced mode and scroll down to "Manage Attachments".

Lynn is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Invisible Subform

Even if I were dump all the fake data, the file would still exceed the 500KB limit of the forum.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Compact and Repair, then zip it. The zip limit is 2MB.

Lynn is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Wink Invisible subform

As you can tell, I'm not very computer savvy...
    Thanks for taking a look.
    Lynn

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Your SubForm is using the RecordID as the LinkChild/MasterFields, as it should. Since you are adding a new record to the Main form, there will be no records that match. Your SubForm RecordSource is a query that includes the MainForm RecordSource table. You need to revisit the design of the SubForm. Normally we display the ONE side of a 1:M relationship on the MainForm and the MANY side on the SubForm. Since the information on the ONE side is available on the MainForm I see no reason to have the RecordSource of the MainForm involved in the RecordSource of the SubForm.

Lynn is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Angry

I soooo appreciate your help with this but I'm ready to hit delete and start over. All the problems started when I went to include the two calculated controls on the subform. So I've tried creating a subform with just fields from the tblDescription, the only link I have to the main form is the RecordID.

Now it opens and I can see all the controls in form view, but it shows old records. I need the form for data input so I changed the data input to yes and the result? The main form opens blank, the subform is invisible. Because I'm not that experienced in Access, I've probably made too many queries that are linked together with tables in funky ways and now I can't go back and simplify matters.

SO If I do start over, this is what I'd like to do. Create two tables--one for demographics, the other for details of the waiver application. The details table will make up the subform. How do I write up a query that will calculate an expiry date and day count to expiry that is based on two fields from the details table AND show these values on the subform AND show the values in the details table??? This is what I've been trying to do all along.

One more thing, I tried to create a switchboard--went through the switchboard manager, it seemed to take the information but wouldn't create the form and of course then I couldn't created the proper macro.

Why do I do this to myself......
    Lynn

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    SO If I do start over, this is what I'd like to do. Create two tables--one for demographics, the other for details of the waiver application. The details table will make up the subform. How do I write up a query that will calculate an expiry date and day count to expiry that is based on two fields from the details table AND show these values on the subform AND show the values in the details table???
    Calculated values do not belong in tables. They belong in queries as you have them. Bind your mainForm to a QUERY of the tblContact table and bind the SubForm to a QUERY of the tblDescription table and include the calculated fields if you like.

Lynn is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Gotcha, thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.