dougdrex is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Field is preventing data entry, but is enabled and not locked

Using Access 2010. Database attached if it will help answer the question.

One the form Form_TransferTransactions, when I add a new record I can tab into the "Transfer Amount" field, but am unable to enter a value in it. However, the field is enabled and not locked. Any ideas why it will not accept data entry?

I'm puzzled!
    Doug
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A form can be used to enter/edit data for only one table. Do not include tblTransactionDetails in the main form RecordSource. TransferAmount is a field of tblTransactionDetails and this belongs in the subform.

Each record in tblTransactions can have multiple related records in tblTransactionDetails?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    You would be attempting to fill in the TransferAmount field of the TBL_TransactionDetails table when the JOINING field (TransactionID) has not been filled in yet so there is no record in that table yet.

Thanks guys, that makes perfect sense. I was really confused!

June7, yes, I want to design the database so that transactions can be recorded with multiple transaction details. Example: When we go to Walmart, we might spend a certain amount on groceries, an additional amount on Christmas gifts, and yet another amount on clothing. I want to be able to record all of it on the same transaction (since that's how it will clear the bank account) while still tracking the proper amount per spending category.

I'm learning about designing and creating databases, so feel free to offer any feedback you may have.

Thank you both very much!
    Doug

June7 is offline VIP
    When it comes to accounting database, I probably would not reinvent the wheel. There are too many OTS apps already available, like QuickBooks. But I guess that depends on how sophisticated you want your db and whether or not this is as much a learning exercise as a practical one.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

You hit the nail on the head. I'm using it as a learning exercise since I'm in the process of taking some online Access classes. I am also hoping to come up with something to replace the Excel spreadsheet that I have been using for the last several years (and that has features not available in programs like Quicken, etc).

By the way, what is the easiest way to move the Transfer Amount field from the form to the subform?

June7 is offline VIP
    If you mean the textbox and associated label, probably cut/paste (Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V). The field is already available to the subform because of the RecordSource.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.