Eef is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Add a calculated fields in a Table

I want to add a new field to my table. This field must become a default value which is the result of a Function (module).

Something like this:
    fielda type text
    fieldb type text
    fieldc type text with default value =Function1([fielda];[field])

I have an example for this with a From-field. But this does not work within a table.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Though Access added a feature that allows you to add Calculated Fields to tables, it doesn't necessarily mean its a good idea. Most other "real" database programs (like SQL) do not allow it. And most experienced programmers will not do it.

In general it is best to place all calculated fields in queries. There usually is no need to have them at the table level (especially since you can use Queries the same as you would Tables, for Forms, Reports, exports, etc).

Eef is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    Though Access added a feature that allows you to add Calculated Fields to tables, it doesn't necessarily mean its a good idea. Most other "real" database programs (like SQL) do not allow it. And most experienced programmers will not do it.

In general it is best to place all calculated fields in queries. There usually is no need to have them at the table level (especially since you can use Queries the same as you would Tables, for Forms, Reports, exports, etc).
    I understand your arguments. I placed my field in a query. Thanks for the advise!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.