Haggrr is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Help with coding to eliminate multiple queries!

Please don't over think this one. Assume that I understand Access fairly well on a 'above' basic level. I am able to achieve the results using 'multiple' queries, but I also know there is simpler code that can achieve the same results faster. Below represents the main 'data' table. It contains hundreds of thousands of records all identify 'mainly' by the [Job Number].

I have multiple [My Contractor]s. I have multiple [My Customers] They are all in Tables dedicated to each class, and are referenced as to not allow billing by, or to, any 'random' person or company.

Here's the Question: What I'm trying to achieve is much faster query (or whatever, maybe code in fields that call for lists to refresh) that, when ran, will tell me IF [My Contractor] has billed me, but I DIDN'T bill one of [My Customer] IF so THEN show me the LAST record of that [Job Number] based on largest [File Number] related to that [Job Number]

(I'm looking to check to see that I didn't miss billing my customers for jobs that are billed to me by my contractors) I have a series of queries that do the job, but are way too slow to add into forms for instant results.

If [My Contractor] billed me, but I didn't bill [Amonut] any of [My Customer] then show last record based on largest [File Number] to query [abc] that is the source of
    [list 123]

Job Number SetterCompany Date To Date From Amount File Number Text Code
    834852 My Contractor 11/18/14 4:42:43 PM

834852 Mr Contractor
    11/19/14 4:43:30 PM $6.76 2568161
    834852 My Company 11/19/14 4:46:12 PM

834852 My Customer 11/20/14 10:28:22 AM
    $8.50 2568216

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How do we know which values in SetterCompany are contractor or customer?

Post the working queries for analysis.

What do these records represent? Why is the Amount field empty on some?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    What if you do it in pieces to keep things in mental order...

qsContractorBilled
    select * from tbl where [settercompany]='My Contractor' and [amount] >0

and

qsCustNotBilled
    select * from tbl where [settercompany]='My Customer' and [amount] =0

then an outer join on the 2 to reveal your need
    SELECT qsContractorBilled.ClientID, qsCustNotBilled.ClientID, qsCustNotBilled.Nights
    FROM qsCustNotBilled RIGHT JOIN qsContractorBilled ON qsCustNotBilled.ClientID = qsContractorBilled.ClientID
    WHERE (((qsCustNotBilled.ClientID) Is Null));

(or similar)

Haggrr is offline Novice
    834852 Jim Johnston 11/18/14 4:42:43 PM

834852 Jim Johnston
    834852 Control 11/19/14 4:46:12 PM

834852 Tom's Jewelers 11/20/14 10:28:22 AM
    $8.50 2568216

On 11/18/14 at 4:42:43 PM I scanned a job #834852 [Job Number] to a contractor of mine named Jim Johnson. [Setter/Company]

On 11/19/14 at 4:43:30PM Jim Johnson [Setter/Company] scanned the job # 834852 [Job Number] back to me and billed me $6.76 [Amount]

On 11/19/14 at 4:46:12 PM Jim Johnson scanned that same job to Control [Setter/Company] for me to inspect. If I needed to know where that job is at any give moment I enter the [Job Number] and 'at that moment in time' is would see it was sitting in the Control area.

On 11/20/14 at 10:28:22 Am I billed my customer, Tom's Jewelry [Setter/Company]

I just need a code (probably in data entry field that refreshs the lists on my forms) that will check and see which jobs I haven't billed to any of my customers. Something that would be the source for a list that keeps me abreast of what jobs might have been given to my customers without billing. The reason it is possible to accidentally does that is the volume of work done and the many years of trust.

Here are the SQL I now use! It tells me if I didn't bill and if I didn't bill more than my contractors billed me!

SELECT [Compare All Setters Totals].[Job Number], [Compare All QG Totals2].MaxOfSetterCompany, [Compare All QG Totals2].SumOfAmount, [Compare All Setters Totals].SumOfAmount, [Compare All Setters Totals].LastOfSetterCompany, [Compare All Setters Totals].[LastOfDate From]
    FROM [Compare All Setters Totals] LEFT JOIN [Compare All QG Totals2] ON [Compare All Setters Totals].[Job Number] = [Compare All QG Totals2].[Job Number]
    WHERE ((([Compare All QG Totals2].SumOfAmount) Is Null Or ([Compare All QG Totals2].SumOfAmount)<([Compare All Setters Totals].[SumOfAmount])) AND (([Compare All Setters Totals].SumOfAmount)>0) AND (([Compare All Setters Totals].[LastOfDate From]) Is Not Null And ([Compare All Setters Totals].[LastOfDate From])>=#5/1/2009#))
    ORDER BY [Compare All Setters Totals].[LastOfDate From];

SELECT [Compare All Setters].[Job Number], Last([Compare All Setters].SetterCompany) AS LastOfSetterCompany, Sum([Compare All Setters].Amount) AS SumOfAmount, Last([Compare All Setters].[Date From]) AS [LastOfDate From], [Compare All Setters].Text
    FROM [Compare All Setters]
    GROUP BY [Compare All Setters].[Job Number], [Compare All Setters].Text;

SELECT [Compare All QG2].[Job Number], Max([Compare All QG2].SetterCompany) AS MaxOfSetterCompany, Sum([Compare All QG2].Amount) AS SumOfAmount, Last([Compare All QG2].[Date To]) AS [LastOfDate To]
    FROM [Compare All QG2]
    GROUP BY [Compare All QG2].[Job Number];

Haggrr is offline Novice
    I think you understand what I'm wanting. However there are many 'my contractors' and many 'my customers'. The [job number] is the key (not unique )

Here's a more accurate look at my main table.

834852 Jim Johnson 11/18/14 4:42:43 PM

834852 Jim Johnson
    834852 Control 11/19/14 4:46:12 PM

834852 Tom's Jewelry 11/20/14 10:28:22 AM
    $8.50 2568216

I scanned Jim that job on 11/18, he did the work, scanned the job back to me the next day and billed me $6.76 [amount] (I have my contractors bill through my program as to be able run checks and balances without having to re-enter their data). He then scanned that job to 'Control', an area of the shop so I know where that job is at all times. Then I billed that job to my customer on 11/20/14 for $8.50 [Amount]

I only need to be able to easily verify that if a was charge 'any amount' that I charged 'some company' something greater than what I was charged.

Don't read too much into my program.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    From your sample data it seems for each JobNumber you must have at least 2 amounts
    One amount(amountA) with a DateFrom as a valid Date, the other amount(amountB) must have a DateTo with a valid Date.
    Also, the DateTo must be > than DateFrom AND AmountB must be > AmountA
    This represents the Ideal set up. You can play off of that logic to identify other situations.

You asked us not to read too much into this, so i won't.
    But, usually you separate your AmountsIN and AmountsOUT.
    If it's critical to your business you may have identified transactions where specific units of work make up a transaction.
    You can compare transactions to determine balances; outstanding amounts....
    You must have some way to identify Customer, Contractor and Company.

Anyway, good luck.

Haggrr is offline Novice
    If only I knew 10 years then what I know today...

I need to group my main [table] by [Job Number]. Look within those groups for records where [Date From] and [Amount] is not null, and records with that same [Job Number] where [Date To] is either null or not null, but [Amount] is null.

June7 is online now VIP
    Consider:

SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE JobNumber IN (SELECT JobNumber FROM tablename WHERE Amount Is Null);
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Perhaps you could tell us more about the database. Did you create it? Do you use this for a business? Is this used in calculating taxes, wages...?

You really start these projects with a clear statement of your business. Then identify the entities (things) involved and the attributes you want to record about these "things" and build a model. Test the model with some "test data" representative of your business. Does the model support the business? If not, is it the model or the data? Determine the issue and resolve it by adjusting the model or the data. Repeat this till the model matches your needs. Then develop the database.

You may be able to normalize your data and recreate a database to suit your needs. Or you can continue with what you have, which will probably require a lot of "workarounds" to get what you need. Many people get the software, then create a "database". Then after confronting a few brickwalls, start to look at some of the underlying relational database principles and theory, then take a new approach to database development.

Here's a tutorial that may help with the underlying concepts.

We're here to help. Good luck.

Haggrr is offline Novice
    For a rudimentary as my program is you were able to see through and set me on the correct course of action. For that I thank you. How do I mark this thread solved?

June7 is online now VIP

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.