Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CeVaEs_64 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Sending Reports with email body having HTML

(sorry if this it the wrong section, Mods please move if it is, Thanks)

Im new to VBA and to this site, First of all I Just want to say Hello to everyone and Thanks in advance.

Second im having a little issue, Everyday I need to send different reports to a bunch of different persons every hour... I had several macros that did it for me, But Then they wanted me to include a e-mail body that was more than 255chars, so i had to go VBA and i have this (for every set of persons and Reports):

Private Sub Command38_Click()
    On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
    DoCmd.SendObject acReport, "REPORT NAME", "Extension", "EMAILS", "", "SUBJECT", "EMAIL BODY", True, ""
    ExitHandler:
    Set rs = Nothing
    Set db = Nothing
    Exit Sub
    ErrorHandler:
    Select Case Err
    Case 2501
    MsgBox "Report Not Sent"
    DoCmd.Hourglass False
    Resume ExitHandler
    Case Else
    MsgBox Err.Description
    DoCmd.Hourglass False
    Resume ExitHandler
    End Select
    End Sub

so everything is good, but NOW they want the body of the email to contain another paragraph totally separated from the first one and they want it highlited and also in Red, How can i add Html to this or do i have to use another method?

I have tried this:

Public Sub TestEmail()

Dim appOutLook As Outlook.Application
    Dim MailOutLook As Outlook.MailItem
    Set appOutLook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    Set MailOutLook = appOutLook.CreateItem(olMailItem)
    With MailOutLook
    .BodyFormat = olFormatRichText
    .To = "email address here"
    ''.cc = ""
    ''.bcc = ""
    .Subject = "HTML TEST"
    .HTMLBody = "<HTML><body>" & _
    "<font color='red'>This is a test</font>" & _
    "<body><HTML>" & _
    Chr(10) & Chr(13) & Now
    ''.Attachments.Add (strZip)
    .DeleteAfterSubmit = True 'to not save in sent bin
    ''.Display
    .Send
    End With
    End Sub

But it keeps on giving me errors, about objects not being defined, i have tried everything i read and im just frustrated, Like i said before im a noob, please go easy if this is something stupid, I have been using access/bva for about one week now, but i been reading a lot, looking forward to learn some more and then be a contribuyent instead of a questioner.'

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you set Outlook library reference in VBA editor? Tools > References > Microsoft Outlook 14.0 Object Library

Your code works great.

Suggest you use .Display instead of .Send while testing the HTML formatting.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

is not my code, I believe you were the one who wrote it lol, Ok I just tried it and it work, thanks

it sent the e-mail automatically, I want it to open OL and the user to click send phisically with the .display will it do that?

Also How do i run that code from the click of a button?

Sorry for so many questions, Thanks again, im hooked on this =)

EDIT: it did it, it showed before it sent..this is exactly what i wanted but i dont see the option to attach the report.

June7 is offline VIP
    This process cannot attach an Access object. The report will have to be saved out as a PDF document (look at OutputTo method) then can attach the external PDF file.

Can delete the PDF afterward = Kill can do that, example:

If Dir(strPath & rs!LABNUM & ".pdf") <> "" Then Kill strPath & rs!LABNUM & ".pdf"
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    This process cannot attach an Access object. The report will have to be saved out as a PDF document (look at OutputTo method) then can attach the external PDF file.

Can delete the PDF afterward = Kill can do that, example:

If Dir(strPath & rs!LABNUM & ".pdf") <> "" Then Kill strPath & rs!LABNUM & ".pdf"
    Great, the first method couldn't add over 255 characters, second method couldn't add colors, 3rd method can't add DB Objects... Lol

I suppose I can export to .xls instead of PDF,

This is getting complicated!! =(

June7 is offline VIP
    OutputTo has choice of various file types.

More 'user friendly', more code.

What was method that limited what to 255 characters?

At first I was doing it with a macro, and writing the message on the macro field. but then they wanted something longer than 255 chars. i already found out how to link it to a button, now im only missing how to output and then erase.

Many Thanks for your help, ill keep buggin here soon lol

Nothing to read here.... figured it out =))

OutputTo has choice of various file types.

More 'user friendly', more code.

What was method that limited what to 255 characters?

Ok, so far im here:

Private Sub Command38_Click()

Dim appOutLook As Outlook.Application
    Dim MailOutLook As Outlook.MailItem
    Set appOutLook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    Set MailOutLook = appOutLook.CreateItem(olMailItem)

DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "REPORTNAME", acFormatXLS, "Drive:\Folder\Folder\Folder\Folder\Folder\Folder\ Filename.xls", True

With MailOutLook
    .BodyFormat = olFormatRichText
    .To = "Emails"
    .CC = "Emails"
    .BCC = ""
    .Subject = "Subject"
    .HTMLBody = "<HTML>First Paragraph <body>" & _
    "<font color='red'>Second and Red paragraph</font>" & _
    "<body><HTML>" & _
    Chr(10) & Chr(13)
    .Attachments.Add ("Drive:\Folder\Folder\Folder\Fodler\Folder\Folder \Report.xls")
    .DeleteAfterSubmit = True
    .Display

If Dir(Drive:\Folder\Folder\Folder\Folder\Folder\Fold er\ & rs!LABNUM & ".Xls") <> "" Then Kill Drive:\Folder\Folder\Folder\Fodler\Folder\Folder\ & rs!LABNUM & ".Xls"

End With

End Sub

what im i doing wrong in the red line ove there? thats where im stuck now.. Thanks again

June7 is offline VIP
    Need the literal strings within quote marks. You posted generic example code. Are you actually using a drive letter and real folder names in your code? Could just use the C: root location.

What do you want to use for file name? If the report needs to be filtered before export, need to open first. More example, adapt as needed.

Dim strFile As String
    strFile = "C:\TempFile.pdf"
    DoCmd.OpenReport "REPORTNAME", , , filter criteria here
    DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "REPORTNAME", acFormatXLS, strFile, True
    .Attachments.Add (strFile)
    If Dir(strFile) <> "" Then Kill strFile
    DoCmd.Close acReport, "REPORTNAME", acSaveNo

Why would you use my example verbatim? It was example from my database. Adapt to your structure.

Need the literal strings within quote marks. You posted generic example code. Are you actually using a drive letter and real folder names in your code? Could just use the C: root location.

What do you want to use for file name? If the report needs to be filtered before export, need to open first. More example, adapt as needed.

Dim strFile As String
    strFile = "C:\TempFile.pdf"
    DoCmd.OpenReport "REPORTNAME", , , filter criteria here
    DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "REPORTNAME", acFormatXLS, strFile, True
    .Attachments.Add (strFile)
    If Dir(strFile) <> "" Then Kill strFile
    DoCmd.Close acReport, "REPORTNAME", acSaveNo

Why would you use my example verbatim? It was example from my database. Adapt to your structure.

Sorry this data is really sensitive so i was just being generic, yes it would pull from a network drive not from local drive, I did miss the verbatim tho, part of learning lol
    Is there a way where the outputted report wont open? i tried changing the true value to false and it gave me another different error.

EDIT: read your post... i have a bad headache already, i cant have all those reports opening everytime they do that... im done i cant even type ACCESS OVERLOAD

June7 is offline VIP
    If the report does not need dynamic filter criteria, then don't open it. Could be a very large report without filtering.

If you save to network drive by drive letter reference, every user would need to have that drive mapped by Windows on their computer. Use UNC path or the C: location.

Note that my example uses PDF in filename but you are specifying xls export. These must be in agreement.

What error message?

Cool

If the report does not need dynamic filter criteria, then don't open it. Could be a very large report without filtering.

If you save to network drive by drive letter reference, every user would need to have that drive mapped by Windows on their computer. Use UNC path or the C: location.

Note that my example uses PDF in filename but you are specifying xls export. These must be in agreement.

What error message?

FINALLY got it this morning, THANKS a lot for your help, I will marked as solved, To erase the File I did this instead:

Dim KillFile As String
    KillFile = "DRIVE:\Folder\Folder\File.xls"
    If Len(Dir$(KillFile)) > 0 Then
    SetAttr KillFile, vbNormal
    Kill KillFile
    End If

What error message?

Hey June, Everything is done and it works perfect, Thanks, But now im beign asked something Else....

I made about 80 different commandXX_Click() with the previous Code, but im being asked to divide the customers into 3 groups and make 3 separated buttons where on each click it would send the email exactly like from the previous code to each group, Lets say i have 99 customers divided in 3 groups of 33 persons, I need 3 separated buttons that on click will send all the emails to the 33 persons on the selected gruop...

I been searching but it getting confusing...

Needless to say, thanks again

June7 is offline VIP
    How are the groups defined? Is there is a field in customer table that assigns customer to a group?

The OpenReport filter argument can included the group as parameter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.