RandV is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Need to update ODBC table with too many indexes

If I can't add a linked ODBC table in Access because it fails due to too many indexes, would I be able to open it in the VB code to run an update query on it? I'm still learning how to use the DAO classes in Access, but it seems like all the tutorials I find start with a table that's already been linked which I don't have here. I was hoping I could maybe get around the error by not linking it and just opening it in VB, but not sure what the code would be when the link isn't already there. Also I can get the data I need from this table via a pass-through query and applying a filter to limit the results, but I don't believe I can run an update query on that.

Of course an obvious answer would be to start deleting indexes, but I haven't determined if that's an option yet so I want to try working around that first. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Must establish a connection to the database to be able to open a recordset of the table. What is the database - SQL, Oracle, dBase?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Access_Blaster is offline User
    Quote Originally Posted by RandV View Post
    Need to update ODBC table with too many indexes

Of course an obvious answer would be to start deleting indexes, but I haven't determined if that's an option yet so I want to try working around that first. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    I think you answered your own question. How many indexes do you have? You should index fields you intend to search on or fields you may need to restrict dupes. But not all fields need to be indexed it will surely slow your database down.

RandV is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    It's an SQL database. I'm aiming to create an automation tool for some 3rd party software, so I was hoping I could resolve this all in Access without messing around in there.

June7 is online now VIP
    Bing: Access VBA connect to sql server

Does this help: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...forum=exceldev

However, too many indexes still might be an issue.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.