Bryan0129 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Designing, Any help appreciated

New to the forum, wanted to get some ideas rolling about a new database. I am somewhat new to Access, but have caught on very quick reading forums and videos. I can manage my way around decently.

So the project:

I am in the service and am designing a new way to keep track of things pertinent to our Company. Currently we use Excel, due to its ease of use to newcomers, however it is terrible for what we need it for. For obvious reasons, it was not designed for that.

The specifics:

-Approximately 200+ personnel
    -Need the ability to track:
    General Information(Rank, Name, Address, Phone Number, ID, etc...)
    Training Information to include dates completed (Fitness Scores, Marksmanship Scores, Water Survival Qualification, Martial Arts Level)
    Administrative Information (Date entered, Date of Rank, etc....)
    Military Schools attended
    Equipment numbers specific to that person, but not always just 1 person
    Remarks to note

What I have:

-The information obviously and ability to change this to make it more efficient

What I have created thus far:

All the information is specific to 1 person when entered so I had all of this in 1 table. I did try to separate a few things, but that's where things got hairy.

I have created the table, with all the information, The reports that need printed daily (through a simple macro button) by platoons which feed off the queries that separated them in platoons. In return this will update all of our personnel counts (on hand, away training, etc...)

I know any may not be tracking on specifics in the military, but I hate wasting time in excel copying 1 roster to another because it does not automatically update. This leaves a lot of information in folders we do not get into often severely outdated.

What I imagine is the "Clerks" receive this information from the reports in the morning by the platoons and then update the roster accordingly by using the query from the platoons.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe this will help http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

Also, search the forum on 'training' and 'employee'. Reference user 'June7' if you want to reduce the result set.

If 'update all of our personnel counts' means saving calculated data, this is usually a bad idea, especially aggregate data. This should be calculated when needed from raw data.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.