KCC47 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Error Message When Closing a Form w/ Macro

I keep getting this error message when closing a form with a macro: "The expression you entered has a function name that Microsoft Access can't find." It is located in the Application_Log_Frm when selecting a hyperlinked Application_ID and then closing the form that was opened with the Application_Close_CommandButton.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the macro used to open that form for the Application_ID.

Application_Log_Db.zip

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You open a form with Application_Close_CommandButton?

I get error message trying to open the VBA editor.

"The database cannot be opened because the VBA project contained in it cannot be read. The database can be opened only if the VBA project is first deleted. ..."

Okay, will stay away from VBA editor. You don't have any code in there anyway, right?

I don't use macros, only VBA. This could take a while.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

thebigthing313 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    In the Macro, are you closing directly from the macro or are you calling a procedure?

If you are calling a procedure, make sure that it is public and a Function, even if there is no return value. RunCode requires a function name (a requirement also being that the function name doesn't coincide with a module name).

My skills at VBA are not very advanced.

If you open the Application_Log_Frm, select one of the hyperlinked records in the Application ID column. It will then open the Application_Search_SubFrm for that matching Application_ID. When you attempt to close that form you get that error unless you change something on the form.

If you have a better suggestion to open a record for editing from a log, please let me know. I'll need step by step instructions for any VBA as I don't understand how to use it very well.

I've deletd some old forms, so I believe that would resolve your error messages opening the database.

Application_Log_Db.zip

June7 is offline VIP
    Okay, that helped. There is VBA code.

Application_Log_Frm could be a single form instead of form/subform. Can set the form as Continuous and arrange controls to look like datasheet.

There is a wizard to convert embedded macros to VBA.

Why does Application_Search_SubFrm have SubFrm in its name?

The Save argument of Close action should probably be set to No. This Save argument has nothing to do with saving the record, it concerns saving changes to object design. Code can dynamically change properties and Save Yes could cause those changes to be saved.

The error happens even if the form X close is used, so this has nothing to do with the Close button event (macro or VBA). The error does not happen if the form is manually opened from the Navigation pane.

The macro has a syntax error.

If NotIsNull([Application_ID]) Then

Needs a space after Not

If Not IsNull([Application_ID]) Then

New error:

"Microsoft Access can't find the field 'ResourceSource' referred to in your expression."

You have a DMax expression:

Nz(DMax("[Application_ID]",[Form].[ResourceSource]),0)

Change Resource to Record.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I've made some of the corrections you mentioned namely the space after Not, but now I am getting a new error.

Microsoft Access can't find the field 'ResourceSource' referenced to in our expression.

CurrentID, Nz(DMax("[Application_ID]",[Form].[ResourceSource]),0)

Application_Log_Db.zip

June7 is offline VIP
    Apparently I edited my previous post after you read it. Review again.

Gotcha. That appears to be working now. Thank you.

June7 is offline VIP
    Do you really want to use DMax on form RecordSource? What if the form has filter applied? What value are you really looking for?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.