sonoamore is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Linked .emf images will not center align.

Hello all,

Going a little crazy over this one. I have a form/report that utilizes linked images. Depending on what is selected on the form, the report changes the linked image appropriately. That part works fine.

However, after getting everything working perfectly I printed the report and discovered the glitch in Access where image transparency is not preserved when using anything but a .emf image type. However, though the reports will print properly with the transparency now, every linked .emf image is clipped/misaligned to the bottom left of it's display box. I have every setting on "Center".

If anyone has a solution for this, it would be EXTREMELY appreciated. Kind of ruined my good night, lol.

Thank you in advance!

-Mike

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Never used emf image with database. Want to provide one for testing?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Never used emf image with database. Want to provide one for testing?
    As much as I would like to, the forum won't let me attach a .emf and I have no way to set up a linked file to somewhere on another person's computer. :P

.emf is Microsoft format I believe, can be created by saving an image from any of the Microsoft Office applications. The image box is controlled by a text box containing a link address to the file in the shared drive where I work.

The problem is shown a little better here: First image is an image box linked to an external file. (Have had proper results with .png, .jpg, .gif... all the normal file types.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	18724

Here's what the exact same box looks like linked to a .emf file:

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	18725

Why .emf? They're (apparently) the only files that maintain their transparency in a report/printout from Access. This image is of the report they pop up on. (Report View = Transparency works fine for any format.) The top is linked to .emf, the bottom is linked to a .png.

Name:	Capture3.JPG 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	18726

Here's the printed report/print preview. They're both .png in this case because .emf keep crashing the database when I try to print it. (Don't worry about graininess, not an issue.) The outer white border/square should remain transparent on the print out, but doesn't.

Name:	Capture4.JPG 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	18727

.emf's are also huge and lag/crash the system if the network is running even remotely slow, so I really would prefer not to use them but I don't see a way around it.

June7 is online now VIP
    emf over 500KB? Try zipping the emf file. Up to 2MB zip allowed.

I don't know if emf is Windows format, wmf is. Not finding either offered by Word Save As Picture.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    emf over 500KB? Try zipping the emf file. Up to 2MB zip allowed.

I don't know if emf is Windows format, wmf is. Not finding either offered by Word Save As Picture.
    Not too big, forum states "This file type not allowed." Scaling .emf's does not change the size either. -_-

Apologies, didn't know it wasn't on Word. Is on PowerPoint though.

Name:	Picture1.png 
Size:	244.7 KB 
ID:	18729
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture1.jpg  

June7 is online now VIP
    Yes, just found it on PP. Made an emf. Only 23.7KB.

I can't get the emf to work as well as yours. I get only the upper left corner to display and it is sitting at the lower right.

Access crashes when I try to view the emf on a report, did not crash with the form.

Weird. I give up.

You embedded images in the post but they are not files that can be downloaded.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.