zippy483 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2003

Automatically notify if event in database hasn't occured

Hi all

I've inherited a number of databases at work from a colleague that has left and I need a small pointer if possible

This sounds a little complicated from the title but basically I have an event in a database (Preventative maint schedules) that should occur twice per week I need some method of flagging if the event hasn't occured once by Wednesday and Twice by friday

The event is stored in a "Current PM" table and there should be only one occurence of said event in this table as previous events are archived into another table every time a PM is completed

So I think I need to look at the Current PM table and look for the last occurrence of an event and if it hasn't happend between Monday and Wednesday e-mail a manager to ensure it gets done on the wednesday

similarly for the second occurence inthe week if it hasn't occured on Thursday then e-mail a manager so that it can be completed on the Friday

I hope this makes sense

any ideas??

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    Assuming you have a start up form, you could use the forms On Open event to make the check.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Further to Bob's advice, can you look/analyze the code and see where table PM is updated?
    If you want to post a copy of the db, I'm sure readers can help with determining Where/How the table PM is updated.
    There are some debugging techniques that could help you understand the "logic flow"/program execution flow.

Normally you identify that an Event HAS occurred from within that event's code. To signify that an event has not occurred I could see populating a table with records saying "Event X has not occurred"; "Event Y has not occurred"... Then, in your code, you delete the associated record when the event does occur. At the end of the run, you check the table and see if any records exist. That will show you either:
    Event A did not run, or you did not delete the record when event A did run.

As an aside question, if you have taken over from the original creator of the db, then there should be some documentation available to you.
    However, yours is not the first case where someone (all knowing of the database and procedures) has left, and a "volunteer" (with no knowledge of db) was selected to carry on. You, or someone designated, should become familiar with the database, the related processes and document/create training materials so this doesn't happen again - especially if this is a database key to your organization's success/failure.

Ask yourself, "How important is this database to our viability"? If critical, get moving on a solution....

Good luck.
    Last edited by orange; 11-11-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.