Hawaiis0 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Cool Using 3 variable criteria to populate a table field with a forth piece of data

Hi complete novice here stumbling along. I have inherited an DB from a departed colleague ( still alive though!). And would like to pose a “How to..” question if I may.

The DB consists of one main table. It doesn’t look right with such a large table but I’m not confident enough yet to break it up.
    The main function of the DB is to track and review individual tasks uniquely identified by two variables - one "text" task value and one "number" revision value. These 2 create the unique identifier whose combination is not repeated.
    These unique tasks are applied once to a multiple number of assets at any point in time. The important compliance date of the task on each asset is entered in to the main table by the review form which will ultimately “close” the review form for the task.
    What I would like to do is have a sub form to “easily” input the compliance date into the “date” field in the main table under the relevant asset (there are 23 assets).
    I have made a sub form which drops down the 2 variables from the main table and the asset number with a date box to record the compliance date for the task.
    Is it possible, knowing these 3 column variables, to drop the date from the sub form into the main table under the correct asset? Note – each asset has its own column in the table

task value revision number asset 1 asset 2
    1000a 1 11/04/2014
    1000b 1 01/01/2012
    1000a 2

The task and revision number are the controlling values used to look up the task for closure. There are 63,000 tasks each one to be done against 23 assets over the next 30 years.

Many Thanks for your time and dont laugh at me

Haw

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If that is the structure of the table, your instincts are correct - not a normalized database and will likely be a source of much frustration.

What you want may be possible and I expect will involve manipulation with UPDATE query, either with Access query object or VBA code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.