Ryan Williams is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Can I use info from one table (like a unique ID) to generate a list of records (like addresses)?

Hi all - first post here. I've never used Access and I'm struggling with trying to explain my desired result.

I have a list of unique IDs generated by running a query with specific parameters.

I need to take that list of unique IDs and feed it back into the database, to receive additional information (in this case, addresses).

I have no idea how to do any of this.

I have a vague idea how to run a query, but not how to input a spreadsheet of IDs and ask the database to return the associated sets of tables.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    The "IDs" need to be in more than one table. As Primary Key in one table and Foreign Key in another. Then build query that joins tables on the common fields.

Are these "ID" values in the table of addresses? What parameters did you use to generate the IDs in spreadsheet?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    The "IDs" need to be in more than one table. As Primary Key in one table and Foreign Key in another. Then build query that joins tables on the common fields.
    You'll have to forgive me; I really don't speak the language and I have no idea what any of that means. I think we can work through it though.

Are these "ID" values in the table of addresses? What parameters did you use to generate the IDs in spreadsheet?
    The ID's are data entered by us to uniquely identify each "master" record. Take a look:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	18419

In the above image, I have a sample "catch-all" query that lists all foundations (we're fundraisers) and all their relevant information. The field with the key is "FoundationID". That's what I mean by Unique ID.

We've had a severe proliferation of queries over the years with no manager, and right now we have a bunch of excel spreadsheets with thousands of rows that only have pieces of this information, namely the FoundationID and Organization fields. I want to de-duplicate the information (in excel).

So, my plan is to take the spreadsheet with the FoundationID field filled in, and run it through Access to get the rest of these fields to match.

I'm aware of the use of append queries to accomplish similar goals, like modifying lots of records based on a field like that. But I don't want to modify the records. I just want to get addresses for them based on that one field.

June7 is offline VIP
    Understanding use of primary and foreign keys is basic to relational database concepts.

Not sure I understand your issue.

Set link to the spreadsheet. Use the link like a table (except can't edit). Build query with the link table and the Foundations table. This will match the addresses to the IDs in the link table.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Understanding use of primary and foreign keys is basic to relational database concepts.

Not sure I understand your issue.

Set link to the spreadsheet. Use the link like a table (except can't edit). Build query with the link table and the Foundations table. This will match the addresses to the IDs in the link table.

Like I said in the first post, I've never used Access. That doesn't mean I'm a database admin who has never used access, it means I am a person who has never used Access. Truly, my issue is that our organization has operated this database for a decade without ever hiring a person who understands even the most basic concepts of database management or operation. I'm attempting to get a foothold with this example, and I think your guidance will help set me in the right directions. Thank you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.