wvinton is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Import data from one Access database to another

First- I am a novice with ACCESS, learning as I go. I am totally redoing my data base of contacts. The original database has one table with EVERYTHING in it about a contact. I want to just import the contacts name, address, phone and email. Can this be done? Where can I go to find out how. I tried ACCESS help and get a lot of information on making macros or linking, I only want to do this once.

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Not sure what the issue is. Make copy of database file. Modify table - delete fields.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

That is certainly the easiest route, however the new database is not just contacts, it is a database about community Emergency Medical Services systems and includes information about inventory, type of response, etc. The contacts table is just one small part of the whole picture. The old database had one table with all of this information in it (one giant spreadsheet). I am concerned about bring this table in to my new database, even with deleting the unwanted fields. This table might have some formatting or other issues that might cause problems in my new database- it was set up 10 years ago. (some of the things that I have read suggest this is a possibility). Am I totally off track on that, is it really as simple as bringing a copy of my table from the old database, sans unwanted fields into the new database?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If you are just bringing in one table and not queries, forms, reports, code - then would could be issue? Basically starting over from scratch.

If you just make copy of db and remove unwanted fields, then yes things could go haywire if there are queries, forms, reports, code dependent on those fields.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I will try it, you are right... what can it hurt.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.