bbv586 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Split DB, running FE when not on the network

Just created a database for our company that I will be splitting, BE will be stored on our network drive, FE will be installed on each user's (five total) local computer. If I'm running the FE on my laptop while on the road at a customer's office without internet access and adding new information, will that information be added to the BE whenever I'm back connected to the internet, or how does that work? Will that create issues, and should I avoid adding info to the FE if I'm not connected to the internet on my laptop? Should I only add data in the FE when I'm at our office connected to our network?

Also, is it an issue if I'm running Access 2007, and some others are running Access 2010 or 2013?

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Typically, when you split a database, all your data tables are stored on the back-end, and all queries, forms, and reports are stored on the front-end.
    So, if you are not connected to your network, you are not connected to the data tables, and the database probably won't do anything other than throw a bunch of errors at you.
    So I don't think it is even possible to add any data in that scenario. Your database will be pretty much unusable when you are unable to connect to the back-end.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    As Joe said, need to be connected to the backend. Otherwise you have an issue of data synchronization. Not something easy to implement. I had to do something close to data synchronization.

Project field offices are given an empty copy of all-in-one db. They enter records. Send file to main office at end of construction season. Records are imported into the master file. Since this is all new data and only 5 tables, not too difficult.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

bbv586 is offline Novice
    We have two offices in different cities. If I put a NAS box at the main office and put the BE database on that NAS harddrive and have it on the main office's network, could the other office run the FE that would work with the BE at the main office?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    This would just be another drive managed by the network server? Better ask network administrator. Have to be able to set table links in the frontend using either drive letter path or UNC path.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

bbv586 is offline Novice
    I've been looking around and I believe this is what I need. I'd rather not buy the harddrive and find out I can't do it though. Does anyone know if this will work? Can outlook set table links to a http web address or an ftp site?

Would it be easier to use a hosting site like GoDaddy?

My biggest issue is I'm using Multiple Value Fields, so I can't use SQL as the back end.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    This would just be another drive managed by the network server? Better ask network administrator. Have to be able to set table links in the frontend using either drive letter path or UNC path.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    We have two offices in different cities. If I put a NAS box at the main office and put the BE database on that NAS harddrive and have it on the main office's network, could the other office run the FE that would work with the BE at the main office?
    I doubt this will work for very long. Probably corrupt the BE.
    See http://kallal.ca/Wan/Wans.html

My biggest issue is I'm using Multiple Value Fields, so I can't use SQL as the back end.
    I don't recommend the use of Multi Value Fields.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.