Biel is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Graphic problem!

Hello!

I have created a table in which I have a "multiple value field".
    That means that a client may have "A" or "B" or "C", as well he may have "A and C", "A and B", "A, B and C", etc.
    When I make a chart from that, to know how many of them have A, B and C, the ones that have more than one are separated. The ones that have "A and B" for an example, have a slice just for themselves, instead of being included in "A" and in "B".
    How do I solve that?
    Thank you.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Most will recommend you do NOT use multivalued fields.

Normalize your tables
    For free normalization video tutorial see
    http://www.lynda.com/Access-2003-tut...n/13150-4.html

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I agree with orange. I would say that multi-valued fields can be a real pain to actually use in practice because of several limitations such as this. The benefit of a pretty user interface is quickly overshadowed by real problems in pulling the data back out. I would highly suggest going to using a separate table for the selected items and either use a subform or a listbox with code to have multi-select actually be available for entry, but it will simplify things for when you need to report on the data.

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Is your question about structure or about producing a report?

Quote Originally Posted by Biel View Post
    Hello!
    I have created a table in which I have a "multiple value field".
    That means that a client may have "A" or "B" or "C", as well he may have "A and C", "A and B", "A, B and C", etc.
    When I make a chart from that, to know how many of them have A, B and C, the ones that have more than one are separated. The ones that have "A and B" for an example, have a slice just for themselves, instead of being included in "A" and in "B".
    How do I solve that?
    Thank you.
    I agree with Orange and BobLarson's comments. However, I understand that your question has to do with how to assemble the data to create a report. To that aspect, do you agree that entries with a single response and entries with all responses are not a problem? Your concern is how to count responses of more than one value but less than all? If this is the case, I don't have an immediate answer concerning how to do this with a query or queries. However, with the working copy of the dataset, one could loop through all of the data, counting the combinations as they were removed from the dataset. I expect that this can be accomplished with SQL, but I can't help you there.
    Last edited by hertfordkc; 10-25-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: wrong word

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.