Simpson1 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Unable to create graphs from a very large dataset.

Hi all,

I am currently trying to conduct data analysis on a very large dataset (4 million records) based on energy efficiency measures in domestic buildings. The issue I am faced with is that I want to create several histograms looking at the frequencies of different energy efficiency measures installed across the dataset. When ever I try to create a histogram or any graph in Access using the Pivot Chart view or the Form Design Tool the database either freezes or crashes. I don't know if this is occurring because the dataset is too large for Access but I was under the assumption that Access could handle a dataset with 4 million records. I do not believe this issue is occurring because of the PC that I am using as it is a very high spec machine with 32GB RAM.

I am hoping that someone will be able to give me advice on how to go about creating graphs in Access when using such a large dataset.

Many thanks,

Ben.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Access might be able to store that much data but some operations will choke on it. I've built a lot of graphs but none with anywhere near that many records. I've never used Pivot Chart, only the graph control. Maybe it will do better than the Pivot tools (which have been removed from Access 2013).
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Wm Johnson is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpson1 View Post
    Hi all,

I am currently trying to conduct data analysis on a very large dataset (4 million records) based on energy efficiency measures in domestic buildings. The issue I am faced with is that I want to create several histograms looking at the frequencies of different energy efficiency measures installed across the dataset. When ever I try to create a histogram or any graph in Access using the Pivot Chart view or the Form Design Tool the database either freezes or crashes. I don't know if this is occurring because the dataset is too large for Access but I was under the assumption that Access could handle a dataset with 4 million records. I do not believe this issue is occurring because of the PC that I am using as it is a very high spec machine with 32GB RAM.

I am hoping that someone will be able to give me advice on how to go about creating graphs in Access when using such a large dataset.

Many thanks,

Ben.
    I also would like information on this

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.