theform = Me.Name  'grabs the name of the active form 

SomeModule.SomeRoutine (theform)

End Sub

Code in SomeModule

Code:
    Sub SomeRoutine (theform)

Forms(theform).label.Caption = "A name" 'just an example

End Sub
    I have code like above throughout my database. The top two lines in the cmdSomeClick() routine never changes but the third one's module name or routine name may change but the variable "theform" will always be referenced as Me.Name. I know I can declare theform variable globally by putting it before the routine or functions such as

Code:
    Public theform As String

Is there a way I can do something similar with the line?:

Code:
    theform = Me.Name
    so that in my code when I call the routine I only need to enter the third line and avoid repeating the top two lines everythime I want to call this routine or function from whatever form I am using? i.e. Do something like below:

New Routine in my form:

Code:
    Private Sub cmdSomeClick()

SomeModule.SomeRoutine (theform)

End Sub
    New Code in SomeModule

Code:
    Public theform As String
    Public theform = Me.Name

Sub SomeRoutine (theform)

Forms(theform).label.Caption = "A name" 'just an example

End Sub
    Access 2007

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    AFAIK, Access VBA does not allow variables to be set in headers, only within procedures. Constants can be set in header.

A variable declared in a general module header can be referenced and set by any procedure in any module, including form and report modules.

A variable declared in a form or report module makes that variable available to any procedure in that module.

Set the variable in some form event that runs when the form opens (like Open or Load) then just reference the variable.

However, be aware that interruption of code execution will clear the variable. This is why I prefer to set a textbox on form with the value then refer to the textbox. Often makes debugging easier.

An alternative may be TempVars. I've never used them but I didn't know about them when I first wrote code. TempVars do not lose value if code interrupts.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    You dont pass global variables....they are global. Accessable anywhere , anytime.

If you define theform as global, then re-define it elsewhere, you destroy the globalness.
    cmdSomeClick()
    Dim theform As String

Hence you should label the scope of the variables w the first character to keep track,
    public gvForm 'global
    private mvForm 'modular
    dim vForm 'local

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    You probably know this, but for clarity, you don't/can't "call" a procedure prefixing it with the module name. Your example should be
    Code:

' this sub is in a standard module
        SomeRoutine (theform)

End Sub

June7 is online now VIP
    Ssanfu, that is usually the case. Would not use the form reference to call a procedure in the same module. Would not use general module name in calling a procedure in general module.

However, a procedure behind a form can be called by another module by prefixing with the form reference.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

newbieX is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    You probably know this, but for clarity, you don't/can't "call" a procedure prefixing it with the module name. Your example should be
    Code:

' this sub is in a standard module
        SomeRoutine (theform)

End Sub
    My code does prefix the procedure with the module name. I have several modules, each named by the general functions performed by the modules (e.g make controls visible might have a module called ModVisibleCtrls). This way I know which module contains the code I am calling? Why would that be the wrong approach?

June7 is online now VIP
    I think if procedures are declared as Public, VBA will not allow duplicate names across modules. This is why the module name is not required as prefix but apparently doesn't hurt as I just tested. And it does have the advantage of intellisense popup tips.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.