ketangarg86 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Excel - Access questions

Hi,

I have a excel file which has a import button to upload all the data from the Excel file to Access database table. This is working. Now below are my new requirements. Could you please help.

1. The push of the excel button should open the access file and the associated table. The table opened should only filter and show the files that were imported this time in edit view.
    2. Is there a way I can make sure that the user does not click the excel button twice and the data gets duplicated in the access database table.
    3. I have the excel template which the user will fill the data in and upload to access database table. Is there a way I can add a button to the excel template to reset the excel template to its original values before user started inputting his/her values.

Thanks....

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    1. Excel can open the file (use hyperlink or Shell commands) but AFAIK cannot specify a table to open. Have Access open a form by default when the db opens. Code behind that form can open filtered query or form or report. Presuming a date of import is saved into record, use the current date as filter parameter.

2. Have code set a value in worksheet cell, maybe the current date. Code checks the content of this cell. Should this import be a once-a-day event?

3. Close spreadsheet without saving edits unless it is saved to a new name. If you want to 'reset' without having to close and reopen template, that could be complicated depending on nature of the edits.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ketangarg86 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I was finally able to do items 2 and 3. Still stuck on item 1.

I read somewhere that I can open a table in access and show only the filtered (based on data in some columns of excel) set of data via a command button in excel. Could you please help me out.

Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    By 'open a table in Access' - you mean Access query object? I have no idea how Excel can make an Access query object use values from Excel as filter criteria.

If you can find the code and post for analysis, will look at.

If you are really talking about Excel pulling filtered data onto spreadsheet - very different matter.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.