Access_noob is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

PowerPole table and Low_Voltage_cables table create pathway.

hello again,

i need to create a pathway of all my Low_voltage_Cables that connect to each Power_Pole, feed from a Substation with numerous LV_Feeders.
    it is not a linear pathway. The LV cables often fork and join off in different directions - i refer to this as pole pathway branching.
    Each pole thou, feeds back to a Source Sub Station - through 1 of 3 (or more) LV Feeders.

i figure i can use 4 tbls which are related. (From Power source to household)
    Sub_TBL, LV_Cable_TBL, Pole_TBL, CustomerID.

Low_Voltage_cables_tbl fields
    LV_cable_ID, Segment_from_to, Segment_From, segment_To, LV-Feeder, source_sub
    1, poleID1-poleID2, poleID1, PoleID2, A, sub1
    2, poleID1-PoleID3, poleID1, poleID3, A, Sub1
    3, poleID2-poleID4, poleID2, poleID4, A, Sub1
    4, poleID1-PoleID5, PoleID1, PoleID5, B, Sub1
    6, PoleID1-PoleID6, PoleID1, PoleID6, C, Sub1

Power_Pole_Tbl Table fields
    PowerPoleID, pole_name, Source_Sub, LV_Feeder
    1, poleID1, sub1, A
    2, poleID2, sub1, A
    3, poleID3, sub1, A
    4, poleID4, sub1, A
    5, poleID5, Sub1, B
    6, PoleID6, Sub1, c

Sub_Tbl
    SubID, Sub_Name, LV-Feeder1, Lv_feeder2, LV_feeder3,
    1, sub1, A, B, C
    2, Sub2, A, B, C

CustomerID Table Fields

CustomerID, Conn_Num, Feed_from_Pole, Feed_from Feeder, Feed_from_sub
    1, 1000, PoleID1, A, Sub1
    2, 1005, PoleID3, A, Sub1
    3, 1002, PoleID2, A, Sub1
    4, 1008, PoleID5, B, Sub1
    5, 1180, PoleID6, C, Sub1

What i would like to do is create a pathway from PowerSource down to customer.
    So when i enter a Fault (in another Table), say LV_cable_ID 1 is cut.
    that i can show in a query all the Customers, Poles and LV_cables connected on LV_FeederA affected from loss of power to LV_cable_ID1.

Can someone please help guide me on how to use Access to create this directional pathway for me, so i can show and outage on affected Assets (LV_cable, Pole, customer_ID) from a Cut LV_Cable.

I have actually created a query that shows All Customers on Sub1, LV-feeder A.
    But i cannot think how to show the cut in LV_Cable (which links from Sub To Pole to pole... to customer)
    so only the customers beyond the cut LV_Cable are displayed.

I think I need to do a 2 step query?? is that correct??
    please help.

thanks in advance

BTW some poles have no customers connected.

qa12dx is offline Competent Performer
    if you show a diagram of what you want to achieve it might be easier to help.

I have a MapInfo Map...I can show you an extract of it.
    let me upload one shortly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sub120.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	18253

The red square in the middle is SubStation 120.
    LC_cable goes from there to Pole 120/A1B1. (this is the labelling my client user's)
    It actually means Pole Feed from Sub 120, pole also has LV_cable from Both Feeder A and B. The suffix number is the sequence number from the Substation (ie A1B1).
    If we follow Feeder A. The next pole is 120/A2. So Sequence 2 on A feeder for Sub 120.
    In the diagram you can see a split to Poles 120/A3 and 120/A2/1. Pole 120/A3 follow the main road. 120/A2/1 Branches off on a short back-road.

What i would like to do is, say there is a line break on Pole 120/A2, then i would like to show a power outage on all poles "down the line" of 120/A2 on either fork.
    The naming convention used is not ideal, how could i get access to display outages on each pole affected by a line cut or break?

Could someone tell me how i can go about tracing back the path from an end pole back to the Sub.

EG pole 120/A2/4/2P and trace back each pole back to the sub 120?

120/A2/4/2P --> 120/A2/4/1P --> 120/A2/4 -->120/A2/3 ....-->120/A1B1 --> Sub 120

(these pathways are already in the LV_Cables table - i'm just not savvy enough to have Access produce this pathway for me?)
    I figure this way if i can Trace back each end of branch back to the Sub, then that will provide me with all the possible pathways?

Perhaps i will need pathway to sub on each pole record? Or on each segment of LV_Cable In the LV_Cable table?

I have over 6000 poles, so would prefer if Access or even Mapinfo could do this for me...and i can plug these results back in to Access.

Nobody can help??

hi. to do this you will have to map each end pole back to sub station. i'm not sure how i'd tackle this yet, but i just got back from surgery, so i have time on my hands. i'll make a example db for u in a day or two.

Hi Qa12dx,
    I appreciate the assistance :-)

hi, see the eg db.

the first part of the route map name will be 3 chars sub station number. eg 120.

click new, enter 120. press enter. then click 'add' on the left. adding will add n number of posts in line. how many ever u specify.

the poles have to have a 4 char name/id. 2 letters and two numbers. numbers automatically gets zero padded, the letter chars have to enter two chars.

where u want to start a branch, use search to get to that pole, click on the field that has the pole name and then click add. will add under that pole.

i got you started,

you will have to make sure poles dont get dup values in line.

also to identify where forward all affected posts, i would use branch from every pole that is forking. for eg, in ur map, id branch from
    120/a2
    so you have 120/a2/1 ....
    and 120/a3 ...so instead of a3, which is inline with a2, i'd put it under a2, because a break in a2 will affect both branches, but a break in 120/a2/1 will affect only that branch.

cheer
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi qa12dx,

Thanks for this my friend! I have just returned from leave and i will check out you sample DB right now!
    Your explanation sounds great - i will have a look into this and let you know how i go.

awesome, Thank you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.