Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brownie772000 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Enter Parameter Value

I am working with a linked Database. I added a textbox to a form using the following steps.
    1. Created a column in the source table in the front end - saved
    2. Created a textbox on the form by using the add existing field button and dragging it to the form - saved
    3. Opened the backend db file and added the column to that table as well - saved
    4. Closed all tables and forms and opened the main form.
    5. When I enter text in the new textbox and save I get a popup box the says "Enter Parameter Value" under that is
    "tblFracasDataModify.ResoltionPlan" (which is the frontend table and the column I created) then a field that
    I am supposed to enter something in??
    5. When I say OK to that box an error pops up...3270
    6. I close everything down and open the tables separately. The new text is in the front end table but not the back end table.

7. The front end table seems to not be linked to the backend. I did not manually link them. I thought access would figure
    this out. All the other controls on the form work fine and I cannot find any VBA linking them.

Any Help?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Access will not figure out the linking. It is not possible to manually edit design of a linked table from the frontend. Delete the frontend table and use Linked Table Manager to set link to the backend table.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Could you please give me more detail. I am scared to delete the front end table, it has 50 fields in it that work great. I don't want to make things worse.
    The tables are already linked and worked fine until I added the one column in both tables. I may not understand what you mean. I am a beginner and I
    am working with a DB I inherited. Isn't there a way to add a textbox to a form the has tables that are already linked?

June7 is offline VIP
    Add field to the table in the backend. The new field will appear in the frontend link. Modify form in frontend.

I don't understand your step 1. As I said, cannot manually edit structure of a linked table. Must edit the table in the backend. If you were able to edit table structure in frontend then this is NOT a link. Data entered into that table will NOT directly pass to table in backend. Table links show a little arrow on the left side of table icon.

I suspect there is some code somewhere that populates the backend table with the new data entered in the frontend table. This would be an odd setup. Apparently the code would have to be modified for the new field.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Answer to your question:
    I added a field (column) in the frontend and backend tables for the textbox I was gonna create. I named both of these fields "ResolutionPlan".
    I then created a texbox named "ResolutionPlan" and tried to get them all talking to one another after they all were already created.

So back to where I am now -
    I have now deleted all three objects and am ready to start over. If I understand you correctly these are the steps:
    1. Create the new field in the backend table
    2. Create the textbox on the form and source it to the backend table
    3. Access will automatically create the field in the frontend table?

June7 is offline VIP
    If the frontend table is truly a 'link' and not a local table, then the link will show the new field from the backend table.

Thanks for the help. I will try this again. I will be leaving work soon but I will let you know tomorrow morning.
    Thanks for your help.

TB

Good Morning. I am very close but not quite there. To recap... I am trying to add a text box to split database that already has a frontend and a backend table that are already related.I deleted everything and started over with the original DB I inherited.

1. I opened the backend as a seperate DB and added a field to a table I'll call tblB. - Saved and closed DB.
    2. I opened the frontend DB and added the identical field the the related table. I'll call this table tblF. Saved
    3. Opened my form in design view (BTW my form is a subform if that matters). Clicked add an existing field. Field list pops up. Drag my new field from the backend table(tblB)
    to the form. Specify relationship GUI pops up. The GUI shows the correct tables (tblB & tblF). I use the pulldowns to create the link and neither of my fields are there.

I feel so close.

June7 is offline VIP
    I refer you back to comment in post 6. If tables are linked, add field in ONLY the backend. The field will automatically display in the frontend link. Step 2 should be unnecessary.

I have no idea what you mean by 'relationship GUI pops up'. I have never seen this when adding fields from table links to a form or report.

Is the backend another Access db file?

RonL is offline Competent Performer
    Total noob observation, but OP didn't actually describe recordsource for form. If a query, doesn't the new field need to be edited in manually?

The box (GUI) that pops up when I create (drag) the textbox to the form is labled "Specify Relationship".

The frontend table only holds the data until the save button is clicked at which time the backend table recieves and stores evey field on the form.
    Its like 50 total. If you exit the form without hitting save the data will not make it to the backend table and will disappear from the front end.

Its a local table.

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, if the RecordSource is a query that doesn't use the * wildcard for SELECT clause, then the field would have to be added to the query. That doesn't change what I said about the link showing the field.

So, you DO NOT have linked tables.

I still don't know what 'Specify Relationship' GUI is. Never seen this popup when adding field to form.

Asking again, is the backend another Access db file?

Yes, the back end is an accdb file as is the front end.

June7 is offline VIP
    If you want to provide both files for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.