accessbro is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Appending new records from a query into a table

I'm making a database for tracking purchase orders for contract workers in my department. Business rules dictate that a PO is created for each unique Contractor-Project instance.

I pulled a report (.csv format) of weekly timesheets from the company's project management database system. Some of the fields include: EmpUserName, EmpID, ProjectID, ProjectName, WeekEndDate, Hours. I linked to the file in my database and ran a query on it without WeekEndDate so that I get the total hours each contractor has worked for each project they've billed to. I created a table called tblContractorProject and appended the records to it. I'm going to be pulling this report each week so I can see if any contractors start billing to any new projects so I can create a purchase order for it. Is there a way to write an append query that can recognize if the EmpID and ProjectID combination is new and doesn't already exist in the table?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Creating a select query may provide an answer to your question. Build a select query that either retrieve matches or retrieves un-matched. Once the select query retrieves records or does not retrieve records, you can run an append query or not. Create a dataset of the data you wish to append to your table before running an action query.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.