mad4mp3z is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

looking for help

Hi all, I realy dont know how to go about this so here w go.......

I work for a freight company that ships furniture all around the uk, we currently are using an access system that was made in 1996, its now old slow and crashes alot, my boss has gave me the job of hunting out a new system, and i dont know where to start, what he is looking for is a system that we can type in who the customer is, collection address, delivery address our refrence number the customers refrence number date place to sign etc, he is also looking for this to be linked to a invoice system, as handing 150 delivery notes to our accountant each weeks that needs to be retyped wastes alot of time, basicly we are looking to have the system brought uup to date and more sytematic

any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Upgrade to a newer version of Access. It works great.

we have office 2013 on the computers thats not the problem creating a new system is the problem for me,

thanks for the quick reply

ranman256 is offline VIP
    New system? You mean a new access db app from scratch?

yes thats it with invoicing included in it, this old one is almost unmanageable.
    we still have all the old note on the old system so its not like we would be loosing anything, i have done training courses on outlook/word/excel/powerpoint this was about 7 years ago so all my knowlage on the system is hazzy and didnt include access training so im relay at a loss at a loss on how to go about it, im aware this will not be free im looking for info on were i could purchase this kind of system pre made

Thanks

Shaun

ranman256 is offline VIP
    I see. Cant help you with premade apps.
    I build all of mine from a template. It would take an expert to convert it, rather than a novice to try and build it.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    we currently are using an access system that was made in 1996
    so many questions....
    Who wrote the 2003 version? Is there an updated version available?

How many people use the database at the same time?
    Is the dB split into a FE and Be?
    If split, is the BE on a server and EACH user has a copy of the FE on their computer?

What do you want added/changed to the current system?
    What type of system does the accountant use?
    You want to export the data/invoices in a format that the accountant can import into their system?

My first thought would be you should be able to start with what you have (if it is working for you now) and modify it for added functionality.
    IMO, starting from scratch is harder than modifying the current system.

It might be faster, easier to hire someone local to help you..... but might be somewhat expensive.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Do you have a good write up on your business processes? Do you have a data model?
    You'll need these as well as some test data and some mocked up scenarios as you proceed.

I tend to agree with Steve -- if you have a working system with some documentation --sort out what else you need and adapt the existing logic/tables.

See https://www.accessforums.net/databas...tml#post231249 and look for my "stump the model" approach.
    You'll find other info if you do an advanced search on this forum using "stump" as a keyword and "orange" as the username.

see this tutorial for designing database and tables.

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.