bfc is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Sizing forms (Access2013)

I'm struggling with form design - specifically, getting my opening screen to NOT fill the screen page.

I just open the form via AutoExec. This should 'remember' my size settings.

I've read just about every page on this. I've tried overlapping/not overlapping in Options, Autocenter/Autoresize on and off, Fittoscreen ditto.

I've used Access for close on 15 years, and never had this much trouble. The usual 'open-drag to resize-save' seems to have no effect.

There has to be something I've missed here. How do you folk do it?

Paul

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Either there is code that maximizes the form when opening or maybe corruption. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

bfc is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    OK, thanks. The first form is the problem (the second one behaves as desired).

Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    I should have considered Tabbed Documents. Database is set for Tabbed Documents. Unless opened as popups (property setting or dialog mode), forms will open to fill the Access app frame as tabs.

I always change to Overlapping Windows: File > Options > CurrentDatabase > set preferences
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

bfc is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Hmmm. If I amend the Option for this db to Overlapping, the 'Control' form refuses to open.

Paul

June7 is online now VIP
    Hmmm. I don't use Autoexec for default open form. I use the project property setting.

Or delete the Move & Resize action from the macro.

This is a split form. They can act a little different from regular forms - harder to manage. The form still wants to open to fill the frame. It's why I have rejected every split form I have built. I like the idea but they just don't cooperate. Gave it another chance the other day, hoping it was better in 2010 - no such luck and abandoned that one as well.

bfc is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I'm way out of date - haven't touched this stuff for a year or so. I need to look at more possibilities.

Thanks for your comments. The split form has some benefits for me (there are actually more than 5000 entries to choose from at present, and that is likely to double!) so I think it worthwhile to persevere. The plan is to draw together old material from a previous db, a filing cabinet full of cards, and many dozens of paper files in boxes. The second form will grow considerably as we proceed!

Paul

June7 is online now VIP
    Are you using the upper part of split form to enter/edit record?

bfc is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I hadn't got that far. Rather I was trying to link the different sources together so we could make some decisions about what we want/need to collect, and how to collect it.

Data entry is planned to follow in due course. At the moment, just to sandbox a bit, I'm adding a few bits to the tables as datasheets (mainly garbage) as you would see if you chose the table entry with Ref = 2 (type 'albu' in the search box and you will find it).

You might get a smile from MS's Ooops moment (from an early edition of...)

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails access_typo.jpg  

bfc is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I think this is a lost cause. Go read http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...plit-form-size and scroll down to Quinn's summary. Access split forms seem to be buggy.

Paul

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.