dgutsche is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Question Auto Generating a String Using Record Position in Subform

Hi there

I have a parent form with a field 'Ticket' which includes a subform. I want to force one of the fields in the subform to autogenerate based upon the 'Ticket' in the parent form and the relative position of the record in the subform. Basically when a person types in 1600 in the parent form field I want at that moment for the subform to populate 1600A, 1600B, 1600C... for all records in the subform.

I don't know if I should be using the Table.PositionOf function and do some logic to not count other tickets in the table, or if there is a more direct way to reference the position just within the subform itself - Maybe using a number to letter calculation based on an auto-generated field in the second table?

Thanks!

burrina is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Is this field a Combo? Use the AfterUpdateEvent and then code for the autofill. Example:

Me.ShipCity = ShipZIPCode.Column(2) ' Combo Box Example.
    HTH

I'm unsure if I needed to go the route of making it a Combobox - this little piece of information is going to be a static identifier for the technicians in their paper work and on their lab samples. I just want it to generate the form this way as we always number by this convention. It'll save the clerk from manually typing in sample identifiers. The whole point of the database is to expedite paperwork.

So is this kind of code something that I would be able to tweak for an expression builder? Pretty novice here. Experienced with VBA and Excel and now I'm trying to learn how to do similar tasks with a database.

Thanks burrina!

Quote Originally Posted by burrina View Post
    Is this field a Combo? Use the AfterUpdateEvent and then code for the autofill. Example:
    Anyone have an example of how this has been done? Feeling really inept right now ha ha.

I'm currently trying to set it up and have no problem calling ticket number or concatenating text together. I just need to know how to make it generate the A, B, C, D, E for the subform without jumping to the next letter in the Cylinder table (to which the subform is adding records).

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Generating custom unique identifier is fairly common topic. Here is one https://www.accessforums.net/databas...try-21975.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.