timjclark is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Access2010 crashing when back-ends stored on Server2012

We are having two distinct problems with our Access2010 application when storing our back-end databases on a Server2012. I will be creating separate threads for the separate issues.

Our application is a large Access 2010 application with 9 ACCDEs and 3 ACCDA's on the front-end and 3 ACCDB's on the back-end. Yes we are using the ACE database engine and I'm fully aware of how MS SQL is where we should be... That being said we get very good performance with up to 15 users in LAN configurations and 30+ users on Terminal Servers. We distribute the 2010 run-time along with Service Pack 2.

We have one customer with 3 LAN clients running Windows7 (I do not recall 32 or 64 bit, nor the version of Office installed). When storing the back end databases on one of the Windows 7 PC's, everything functions properly and speed is very good. When they the store the back-end databases on the Server2012 there is some bizarre behavior:
    - User 1 on PC 1 can log on, work and log off no problem – they are the only user in our system
    - User 2 on PC 2 can log on, work and log off no problem – they are the only user in our system

- User 1 logs in, User 2 logs in – both work fine
    - User 1 logs in, User 2 logs in – both work fine; user 2 logs out normally, user 1 continues to work fine and can log out normally
    - User 2 logs in, User 1 logs in – both work fine; user 1 logs out normally, user 2 continues to work fine and can log out normally
    - User 1 logs in, User 2 logs in – both work fine; user 1 logs out normally, user 2 crashes
    - User 2 logs in, User 1 logs in – both work fine; user 2 logs out normally, user 1 crashes

It is those last two permutations that are the problems.

Of all my Server2012 customers, only one has this problem.

They have tried creating a brand new share on the server and give full access to "everyone", it did not help. All virus and firewall software has been disable, it did not help.

In my surfing this week, the only things I've seen that might apply are to disable SMB2/3 and/or disable opportunistic locking.

Has anyone seen this problem before and perhaps know of a solution? Thank you very much.

--Tim

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have seen a couple of complaints about corruption while using server 2012 with SMB3 enabled. The claims are that disabling SMB3 or moving the BE file to server 2008 is the solution.

timjclark is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    I have seen a couple of complaints about corruption while using server 2012 with SMB3 enabled. The claims are that disabling SMB3 or moving the BE file to server 2008 is the solution.
    Thank you for the reply ItsMe. Since this is an installation at a customer site, deploying a 2008 server is not an option. Of the hundreds of my customers, I've never seen an issue like this one. That leads me to think it is some sort of configuration issue. The network performance for file copies is very fast which would indicate that it is not an SMB3 problem (from what I've read).

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by timjclark View Post
    ...That leads me to think it is some sort of configuration issue...
    I appreciate you commenting on this topic. I currently do not have exposure to Access BE files on 2012. My exposure is limited to threads in help forums.

Your comment sparked a memory of a thread I read somewhere. One of the responses in the thread, a response that was not marked as an answer, hinted that there could be issues with server configuration.

Considering the limit number of complaints regarding SMB3, the similarities between SMB2 and SMB3, and the fact that SMB2 has been around since 2008; leads me to believe you are on the correct path.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.