dlcj21 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Access Very Slow when connected through Remote Desktop

Hi, I was wondering if there was anything I could do to improve the performance of Microsoft Access 2007 when connected through remote desktop? The application is very slow to respond and queries that are almost instant when directly on the pc are considerably slower when connected to the pc via remote desktop.

Most of the time the mouse takes a second to catch up when I am navigating options on the ribbon for example, if I'm on the Home Tab and want to click on the Design Tab, I have to move the mouse to the design tab and then wait 1 or 2 seconds for it to actually hover over the Design tab and then I can click it. That's a problem that is annoying but I can work around it.

The problem I experienced last night is a different story. I built a simple select query which looked at a table with 150k rows. It went "not responding" for an hour. I gave up after that. I get to the office this morning, hit the run button and before I'm done clicking the button the results are already there and the query is done.

Any ideas what would cause this? I have several other graphic intense programs that work fine through remote desktop so it couldn't be a graphic problem could it?

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hate seeing this go unanswered, but it's a bit of a stumper. I work via Remote Desktop a lot, with no speed problems. The processing happens on the remote machine, so performance shouldn't change (you probably already know that). There are some performance settings in Remote Desktop, but I can't imagine any of them having a dramatic impact (they may help the little problems though). Have you tried looking at Task Manager on the remote machine when performance is bad and see if something unexpected is running?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

dlcj21 is offline Novice
    Yeah that's the main reason why I posted here. When Access is "not responding" I can navigate to other applications and perform other tasks without issue, it's just access that seems to hang up. SQL Management Studio and Toad do not have the same issues. Also the issue doesn't present itself when logged directly into the machine. Like I said, a little mouse lag is to be expected when using remote desktop so I can deal with that, but this was the first time I had it freeze while running a select statement. It's like it has trouble drawing the rows or something. The task manager was one of the first things I checked and everything was normal. Processing speed was around 20% and memory usage was around half, so it wasn't a pc performance issue.

Like you I'm puzzled why it only happens while I'm logged in remotely and not when logged on directly.

dlcj21 is offline Novice
    I think next time, I'll start the query and if it goes "not responding", I'll log out of the remote session, then log back in to see if that clears it up.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.