vbar is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Designing database for a new program-beginner table/relationship help

I have been tasked to develop a database for a non-profit to track a new service program. I have done the office training videos, and have written simple databases in the past, but am getting stuck here as this program will require multiple entries per client. I will have to eventually export this data to SAS or SPSS to analyze, so the purpose of this database is to track participants for service provision and also research/evaluation of the program.

The tables/fields I have come up with are:
    1) Referrals
    date, referring clinic, name, id#, address, date of birth, staff number, etc.
    2) Visits
    initial and follow up- with initial having about 5 printed page of questions, so it's long. follow up is shorter, about 3 pages of questions. each participant will have one initial visit and many follow up visits.
    3) participant info
    contact information, date updated, staff number, program status (new referral, enrolled, discharged). this needs to be updated at every visit.
    4) staff members- there are several staff members that will be writing into this database. this will not be a web database, but will be shared on office 365.

Questions:
    1) how to link these tables together relationship-wise? I have autonumber id's for each table, but not sure besides participant ID# on which to make primary keys.
    2) is there a way to have contact information display on the top of each visit form? i've tried split forms and subforms and it doesn't work in 2010 since there are sooo many visit questions. contact information originates in the referral form and needs to be updated on every visit.

Thank you so much for your help in advance!!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Tables/fields:

1) Each participant will have only one referral? Every participant will have referral? Why not include in participant info table?

2) this sounds like a questionnaire - topic of numerous threads - search forum on that keyword

3) see 1)

4) reasonable

Answers:

1) autonumber primary key in each table
    the PK of Staff will be foreign key in StaffNumber field of Participants table

2) yes
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    If you are just beginning database design, I recommend this material

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.