jameslefebv is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Access Terminal / Multi User

Hello,

I made a database in Access and am planning on using SQL to control the backend data. I need the database to be used by multiple users at a time (50+ users)
    Ideally I want a way to be able to have the Access forms stored on a server, and use tablets as "terminals" that can open the the database and input data.

What's the best way to go about this?

I've heard of using an IIS server between the tablets and SQL, but know very little about how this works.

Thanks!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Split the database into 2 ..a front end (app) and the backend (tables) (see splitting a db)

Every person must have their own copy of the front end, but only 1 backend that all the FE point to.

bryan0 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Or if possible, you can put both the front and back ends on a terminal server and use Citrix XenApp (or something similar) so that multiple users can log into the same front end.

I'm using this process at work and it's worked fine so far. You just need some way of authenticating the users when they open the database, or by only allowing certain users the ability to open the XenApp folder that your application is in.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I am not in sync with BryanO's advice.... I am not running one now and am somewhat out of date with Terminal Services feature sets - but it used to be that each virtual user/desktop required its own FE.... it is possible with the advances of that technology that it is dynamically generating new instances so that behind the scenes each user actually does have their own FE ; but one way or another each user must have their own FE even via Terminal Services.....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.