cwitt11 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

data base locking up

Hi,

We are running Access 2010 on a network with six users. Lately it has been locking up and I have to tell it to repair. I noticed this is happening after a windows update. I was wondering if this is just coincidence or if anyone else is having similar issues? Also, I want to start running the "compact and repair" option because the size of our database is getting bigger. I read that this can change some data? We use a sequential numbering system to keep track of our repair invoices so it's very important that nothing changes. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    Has the db been split into a single back end with each user having a copy of the front end on their own machine linking to the tables in the back end.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Also, I want to start running the "compact and repair" option because the size of our database is getting bigger. I read that this can change some data?
    Where did you hear that? I have never experienced that.

I know you can reset an Autonumber field by deleting ALL your data first in a table, and then doing a Compact & Repair, but I have never heard of existing data changing by using it.

Hi Bob,
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Yes, it is split. We have had problems once before like this but it turned out to be one of the user's computers was bad. Now it's doing the same thing as before. It acts like it is loosing connection with the be on the server. We then went directly to using the form on the server and everything was ok for a week until I got in this morning. The server was left on over the weekend and the form was still up on the screen. I tried closing it to do a backup but it showed there was an open form somewhere even though all the other computers were off. I opened the be and clicked on the dialog box to fix it and everything was fine again. Then I restarted the computer and discovered it was doing an update. I noticed this happened the last time I had problems.

burrina is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    One suggestion I would make is to have a hidden form open on each users copy so it keeps a constant connection. If as you said it was a bad PC last time, check for it again. Is it locking up on ALL PC's? As Bob mentioned, does EACH user have their own copy?

Hi Joe,
    Then you would suggest running this once a week? I have noticed it's starting to run slower the bigger it gets.

The computer in question was running a wireless connection so I think that may have been the issue. Each user has his own copy of the same form. My computer never locks up but it happened today on the server. The other users have old computers so I wouldn't be surprised if they had a problem. The form will just stop responding and then I get the error when I open the be on the server.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi Joe,
    Then you would suggest running this once a week? I have noticed it's starting to run slower the bigger it gets.
    Yes, that is a good idea.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cwitt11 View Post
    The computer in question was running a wireless connection so I think that may have been the issue. Each user has his own copy of the same form. My computer never locks up but it happened today on the server. The other users have old computers so I wouldn't be surprised if they had a problem. The form will just stop responding and then I get the error when I open the be on the server.
    Well I could be wrong on this but I believe that Access on a wireless connection is a disaster waiting to happen.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

burrina is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    NO, Bob, you are absolutely correct, VERY BAD Idea.!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.