jerepois is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Combo box not allowing user to select option from list

Good evening everyone, I am new here. I am also stuck with this combo box that seems to not allow the users of the form to select from its menu. It seems to be acting like the locked text box's beside it. I have a feeling maybe one of my functions or subroutines might be causing the issue but after reviewing I do not see how it would affect the combo box.

The combo box is to allow a planner to assign the work to his or someone else's name.

Form name: PlannerPackageTracker
    Combo name: Combo314

Control Source: PlannerID
    Row Source: SELECT tblPlanner.PlannerID, tblPlanner.PlannerName, tblPlanner.PlannerActive FROM tblPlanner WHERE (((tblPlanner.PlannerActive)=True)) ORDER BY tblPlanner.PlannerName;
    Enabled: Yes
    Locked: No

I have been looking for solutions for this issue, I finally have come to my wall. I have attached my project so that whomever decides they would like to give me some help would have all the information they need. The form is in the DevFront(1).accdb and the data is in the Database_be(1).accdb.

Please note, Yes I know this DB needs to be normalized. Unfortunately I am trying to clean up someone elses mess which they made in excel. I am just making the initial prototype so that I can have more time to clean and normalize the data.

DEVDB.zip

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    The problem is that the record source for the form "PlannerPackageTracker" is not updateable. I opened the form in design view, then opened the query (SQL) of the Record source. I executed the query and tried to change the first record PlannerID from 6 to 1 and got an error. If you look at the status bar it will say the recordset is not updateable.

Then I deleted the table "ServerTable". I could then edit the recordset.

Having the ServerTable not linked to any other table resulted in a Cartesian join - a non-updatable join.

That is all I got so far. Still don't understand what you are trying to do (and don't have any more time tonight to look at it), but maybe this is progress (of some type)..

Please note, Yes I know this DB needs to be normalized. Unfortunately I am trying to clean up someone elses mess which they made in excel.
    OK, I won't mention the other things I saw.....

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What is relationship of tblWorkPackage and tblWorkList - 1 to 1 or 1 to many?

Normally a form is used to add/edit records to only one table. Which table do you want to edit: tblWorkPackage or tblWorkList?

Appears tblWorkList is dependent on tblWorkPackage. Perhaps you should use a form/subform arrangement. Main form bound to tblWorkPackage and subform bound to tblWorkList.

Do you really need the version info on this form? I would just show it on main menu. Remove ServerTable from the form RecordSource and combobox works. The ServerTable is causing the form dataset to be not editable.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jerepois is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    I really want to but with the current structure and the unwillingness to move from the excel data has left me with a lot of duplication. To simplify the process. The tblWorkList holds the scope of work to be performed. The tblWorkPack is a tracker for the planners package. It is meant to be a 1 to 1 relationship. Due to the way my employer has handled the data in excel and the fact I have not been given the opportunity to clean it up is a bit sad.

I do eventually make a accdbe file which will only contain the mentioned form and linked tables. This version I have uploaded is how I manage all my development. I keep all forms and reports in one file and when I am ready to release a new version I make a copy and only keep the objects that are required for the specific front end interface. So the planners tracker is just a single form which is its main form.

ssanfu solution of removing the ServerTable from the forms source seems to give the functionality back to the combo box. looks like I am going to have to get the version number through VBA.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Can do DLookup expression in textbox ControlSource.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.