crpacka is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

How do I lump all Orders (Order ID's) into the corresponding Project Number?

Greetings all. I'm very new to access and did my best but asking for help on this issue as this is above me. Trying to create a report (Project Summary) that basically gathers all orders that relate to a Project Number and lists all orders under the corresponding Project Number tallying the totals. As you can see from the attached image, there is an order (15, Project 382) that I want to be listed with the other orders that fall under Project 382. Can someone help? I've also attached the database file for you to look at and possibly correct.

Orders management database - Copy - Copy.zip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project Numbers.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	17263

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You're grouping on customer, not project, and that project is for a different customer.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Sorry, misspoke. That order is for a different customer.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

kagoodwin13 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Welcome to Access!

Try this idea:

Make a new query based on the query called "Orders Summary." The "Order Totals" field is calculated, but you need the result, not the calculation, in the next step.

Change your new query to a GROUP BY query. This can be done easily in the Query Design View (right click on the query name and press "Design View"). Click the "Design" tab at the top, then press the Totals button (it has a large sigma or E-looking-symbol). The field "Project Number" should say "Group By." Then change the "Order Totals" field to "Sum." Finally, right click on the query name and select "Datasheet View." You'll now see the total rolled up by Project Number. If this is what you want, create a report based on the open query. You may want to add some fields to the query, before making a report, to put more detail.

Some other tips:

1. Change your object naming conventions. Right now, it is difficult to tell which objects are what. If I look at the name "Orders Summary," is that a table, query, form, or report? Try something closer to "qryORDERS_SUMMARY."

2. Eliminate spaces in your object and field names. Access tries very hard to accommodate for spaces, but it doesn't always do it well. Rather than naming your table "Order Details," try something like "tblORDER_DETAILS." It's ok to use long titles and clear wording, it will only make your job easier in the long run.

3. This database looks like it was a template provided by a website. Be sure to understand the relationships between the tables, and what each button or command does. You likely won't get any tech support from the person you bought/downloaded this template from. People are always willing to help, but ultimately it is your responsibility to make your database work, so get very familiar with how it works.

crpacka is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thank you very much Kagoodwin13. Solved.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.