Jmay4786 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

New to Access, building from scratch, help me pretty please?!

I would love some help on the design and implementation of a database as sort of a project management tool.

Here's the specifics of what I was thinking...

Table 1 Job Information- has all the information of a job (address, price, ect), primary key is job number. I want the numbers to auto populate with each new row, but I need it to start at a specified number.

Table 2 Job Orders- information about the actual order (order date, work crew, ect)

Table 3 Complete Jobs- completion information (date, if there were any issues during install, warranty number)

Table 4 Punch List- post inspection items that need to be fixed by the work crew assigned.

I want to be able to track and enter information based on job number (no jobs have the same number).

Form 1 Job Information- assigns job numbers and allows to enter specific information about the job into table 1.

Forms 2-4 (for tables 2-4) I want the forms to use job numbers to enter information, and for it to display identifying information about the job besides the job number (address, contract date, ect), but not to edit this information. Only be able to edit the corresponding information, i.e. order information, completion, ect.

I want to be able to pull lists or reports of what jobs are ordered but not complete listed by work crew, jobs that are complete but do not have a warranty number, and probably some other things as well.

Does this seem like a good design? How would I go about setting up the relationships so I can use the forms like I want?

I'm hoping this all makes sense.... Thank you so much in advance!!!!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Sounds pretty good.
    You will want a Master forms-Sub Form to enter the child records.
    Maybe a Report form (like shown) that can pick the report (and criteria)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reports.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	17217

Jmay4786 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Okay, how would I set up the tables and there relationships? Obviously I'd need the job number in each of the tables, but would it be a one to one relationship? Would there be master and child tables (I think that was an option).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.