Steven.Allman is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Massive help from ground up

I bit off more than I can chew. I am military and if you dont know, they think excel is the greatest thing ever. I have used Access for a few years to manage small amounts of data specific to a few things. I have a excel file I want to put into access, and was given the green light. Once I mentioned a few things possible, it was greeted with joyful anticipation and I am lost. Is there anyone who would like to moonlight and take my excel file and create a database with it? We can discuss payment methods and the like. I have to give you fake data, for obvious reasons, but it will all be the same format....

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Why not just try asking questions here and save yourself some money. You might be surprised with the results you can achieve. We're used to dummy data too. Keep the questions to one issue at a time.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    You will find resumes at www.UtterAccess.com in the forums area (down at bottom) - it is a very reputable web site in my opinion.

Windows XP Access 2003
    ok,
    tables, and reports, and forms, I can get around in no problem.
    I want to utilize the web forms so I can have Company Commanders (for you civilians it would be like a shift supervisor) look at a web form and only see data for their unit, and then our MACOM commanders (Regional Directors) can see the units that fall under them. 13 Fed Ex stores in Indiana and each one can look at data ONLY for their store. Regional guy in Indianapolis can look at data for each store, and the compiled totals.
    What kind of querry can I creat and HOW for that?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    This is currently being done with Excel? Are you planning to connect everyone using the internet? Is it being used now for this system?

emccalment is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    You are in almost the exact same situation that I'm in, lol. Except I told my superior officers that I wasn't all that comfortable with Access, and they're having me drive on. Oh well.

Windows XP Access 2003
    In excel currently, yes. Do I want to use the web, yes, but not for full access to the database, just web based reports. Same foot though, there are several people in my office who will have editing rights to the database itself. Once I get it done and it works well on MY MACHINE, I will split, put on network, and then it will be utilized in the office exclusivley. Right now I am the only one who sees it or works with it.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Will you just be using an internal LAN or are you going to hook up users with the external InterNet?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Just on the LAN, no 'web' internet access. But using the WEB reports. It will be on our intranet, and I was to keep it simple for the officers. I want them to be able to see what pertains to them, in as few a clicks as possible. The reports done by me, and finished product into a web report, but I need to be able to create them quickly, hence I think Queries are the best route to that and I am totaly inexperienced

Windows 7 Access 2007
    It all sounds do-able then. I have to go do something else right now but I'll check back to this thread with some suggestions. Are you going to utilize some form of user security to control access to the system and certain forms?

SJHance is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002
    I don't feel so bad after reading this thread. No offense but its good to know that I know more than I think I do. I wish I could help but I don't know enough... just beginning (again) with Access.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I would like to integrate the user level access control automatically with the network login information, rather than creating 300 seperate accounts, but I know that is next to impossible. Would there be better options in regards to data management in a web based format? Php page that looks into my access database or am I getting a little crazy and talking about a full time job to create and implement this?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Access 2003 has pretty good security built right in but don't turn it on until you are almost complete with the system. It is also possible to completely lock yourself out of the system if you do not implement it correctly. How many people will be accessing the system at the same time?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    You keep saying WEB Reports. Do you just mean the PREVIEW mode of a report rather than a hard copy?

Depending on how the data is structured you could simply copy and paste all rows into a new MS Access table.

Otherwise there are Excel import features built into MS Access.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.