tc197 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Using an input mask with a default value

Hey guys,

Is there a way to use an input mask that also has a default value? I have an input mask of !A\-00\-000;0;_ which gives me _-__-___. I would like it to default to J-__-___ but with the option to change the J when the data is being entered. I tried using a default value but was getting conflicting errors and such from the input mask. The reason behind this is that this is a product number and the first space (the J) indicates the year the product was made. For 10 months out of the year the J will always be a J but in Dec/Jan there is some overlap where half the data is entered as J and the other half might be K.

The input mask works fine on it's own right now but if possible the people filling out the form want to have the J auto fill but have the option to change it at anytime. The only thing I've been able to get is J-__-___ where the J can't be edited, or just a J with no more input mask. I appreciate the help!

Could I some how create a toggle button that turns the prefill from the default value on and off? Say for example theres a little check box that says" Uncheck to disable autofill" and then it turns the default value off and I can manually fill the J's, while maintaining the input mask?

Or how about a toggle button that turns the "J" part of the input mask on and off and I just leave a default value out all together?

nevermind I'll work around it

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

On solution might be to keep the "J" as a non-editable part of the input mask, but have a checkbox or command button that will actually change the mask, i.e. me![textboxname].inputmask = "\J\-00\-000;0;_"

John

Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    Hi -

On solution might be to keep the "J" as a non-editable part of the input mask, but have a checkbox or command button that will actually change the mask, i.e. me![textboxname].inputmask = "\J\-00\-000;0;_"

John
    I was looking for just that. Thank you!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.