Clauric is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Possible in Access DB?

Going to post this here, but mods, please move if necessary/appropriate.

My team leader has asked me to look into creating a way to report the activity of individuals within a company. From what I have figured out, based on requirements, and outcomes, I think an Access DB with the ability to pull/push to Excel is what I am looking for. However, as I have had very limited use in Access (not really used in any of my roles), and never created a DB before, I am unsure if it is possible to do what is required.

The requirements are that the DB contains a list of names of individuals within the organisation, as well as their email address, and the list of clients. (As an example, a list of nurses who work for the organisation as well as the clients who we send them out to). The DB has to email them on a daily basis, with a request for their ID (each is individual), as well as the clients they have visited/worked with on the day and the hours they spent with the client (e.g. nurse A spent 3 hours with Client 1 and 5 hours with Client 3). The individual would reply to the email (all using Outlook), and enter the details of their visits (client ID and time spent), and send it back to a specific address, which would automatically enter the details into the DB, or generate an error report.

My questions are:
    1. Is this set up possible?
    2. Is it possible to get Access DB to generate an automatic email on a daily basis?
    3. Will the system allow for updating on a daily basis (e.g. it populates each day according to the reply, as opposed to over-writing the existing data)?

Is it easy enough to do the above, assuming that it is possible, or is it a very large and complicated problem?

Thanks in advance,

Clauric

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If your company is managing data with Excel, it is almost guaranteed they could benefit using Access to manage their data instead. The tricky part is implementing change. That would be a job for management and not a subordinate.

If you want answers to your questions, you would need to spend quite a bit of time learning about Access, what it is, how it works, how technology evolved to make it what it is today.

I suggest you first learn about managing data using Relational Databases. Research RDBMS.
    http://www.databasedir.com/what-is-rdbms/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.