kattatonic1 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Unhappy Object Dependencies does not work

I will be upgrading a database built by someone else. Object Dependencies doesn't seem to be working. Is there a way to turn it on/ off? I click on a table or open a table (or query or form) and click the [Object Dependencies] button. Faster than a speeding bullet, the progress bar shows in the bottom-right corner of the screen. It took me about 10 tries to get the screen capture because it goes so fast. Then nothing comes of it. The Object Dependencies pane does not show and I get no error message. Does anyone have an idea?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	object dependencies progress bar.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	16909

Thanks for any ideas,

Kay from Toronto
    on the perfect spring day
    what are we doing indoors programming? :-D

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    No idea. Never used it before so just tested on a small db. Worked perfectly.

Did you test with a new db?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks, June7.

It works with my other databases. I just quickly created a new db in case your idea gives me a clue. It works for it too. So its non-appearance seems to be specific to the db I'll be working on. (Rats!)

Wondering if anyone else has any ideas on this fine Monday?

Kay
    from Toronto,
    whose sun is shine regardless of how many of us are holed up in cubicles

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    I use it (sometimes) and never had a problem like that. I am guessing that you are testing it with an object that depends on another object, e.g. a Query. Make sure you choosing "Objects I depend on" and Objects that depend on me" where appropriate. Not all objects have a dependency or may only have one type of dependency.

If it still does not function I would create a new DB and Import the objects over to the new DB.

hapm is offline Competent Performer
    The object dependecy tree gets its information from the name auto correction feature of access. You can enable/disable it from the settings screen of the current database, as it is a per database setting. Disableing it will remove all the dependency information and reenable it will rebuild the complete dependency tree (can take a while according to the database size). Perhaps it helps to disable it and reenable it to force a dependency tree rebuild.

That's interesting. Did not know that.

hapm - thank you. Resetting name auto correction appeared as though it was going to work! There were messages that it was rebuilding, progress bars ran, all the good stuff I'd want. Then afterwards, zilch, zippo. The Object Dependency Pane still won't appear in that db. I tried setting back and forth a few times, and with the obligatory close and reopen in between each. Nada. Hmm and rats.

ItsMe - thank you. That was a great idea that I should have thought of. So I did it and Bah Humbug... I get a pile of VB error messages that I was not getting in the original version if I try to do anything. HOWEVER, the Object Dependencies feature works in that copy. So I saved it, not to work in it, but just as a reference when I want to explore dependencies. Bit of a hassle.

I am still open to any other ideas that anyone comes up with.

Kay
    from Toronto,
    and in gratitude xo

Error messages are probably because of missing references. But, as hapm described, there is a setting that you found to fix the original issue. You may not need to import. However, It may not be a bad idea to import over the objects to a new DB at some point during the development process to ensure things are tidy.

Hi ItsMe, what do you mean by missing references?

In the VBA editor you can go to Tools>References and look at the References Window. I misspoke when I said "Missing". Missing is when you take an existing DB to a new computer and an existing reference is not possible because the new computer does not have the DLL or library referenced.

When you create a new DB, you need to make a reference for VBA that depends on libraries/references not included by default. Write VBA that automates Outlook???? Make sure to include the Outlook reference....

If you are going to import all of the objects to a new DB, you need to use the References Window to tick libraries that may be used by VBA you will import.

hapm is offline Competent Performer
    Setting up a new database (with library references of course) will be the easiest and fastest way to go here. Only thing I could think of now, is that the dependency window is somehow misplaced or sized, perhaps undocked and got behind the access window or other misplacement. I'm not certain about this, but AFAIK there are functions to activate the window by code. If you want to further investigate the problem, I will look it up when I'm back on a desktop.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.