bking is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Sharing Options

Hello All,

I am new to access and have a question about the best way to share the database for what I need. I would like to avoid purchasing anything else so an SQL is out unless it is completely necessary. We are automating a report and will have several users, up to 20. They are broken up into 6 categories, Engineer, Engineer Manager, Sales, Admin, Production, and Data Entry. All of the categories of users control various parts of the report. For example the Sales user would have the ability to add customers and due dates, while the engineer adds the engineering data. After doing some research it seems like the best option would be to make several different databases. A front end for each type of user and then a back end to hold the data and being available on a network folder. Does this sound like the right option for me? This would enable me to make sure that the users would only have the ability to change the data they are supposed to? Also will this method allow me to log who made what changes?

Thank you in advance for the help and advise!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    You are correct sir! Backend on the server, front end to the individuals.
    I also have a .BAT file (remember those?) to copy the master FE to everyone's folder after program changes.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A more sophisticated approach will be to have a single FE; but control visibility of data via a log in. However this requires a good level of experience in databases and visual basic code writing. The benefit of it is there is then just a single FE (design master) to maintain rather than potentially having to maintain 6 different FEs - plus one can log in from any PC with the app and work with the database rather than having to work on just the PC with your FE...... but separate FEs will work.

bking is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thank you for the quick responses, I tried that NTC, I thought that using a login would allow me greater flexibility but quickly realized I do not have the programming knowledge to complete the task.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.