Comiccradle is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Unable to return Lookup Wizard field to text field in table

Good day.

Via a query I have used two Tables to make a new one. In doing so I lost a great deal of information in the new table. The solution was to make a Lookup Wizard in the new table so that I can easily extract the lost information.

The problem is this, the new table is used in a Tab Navigation Form, and this field needs to be an input field so that I can update the table from the form. However to do this I need to change the Lookup field back to a text field, the table does not allow me to change the Lookup Wizard field into an ordinary Text field.

Do any of the well learned members know of a solution.

Many kind thanks.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I never set lookups in table. I have NEVER used the lookup data type. I just tested setting up one. The wizard set the properties on the Lookup tab. Then I changed DisplayControl property to textbox. This eliminated the lookup settings but now I can't delete the field or change its type because Access thinks there is a relationship in the Relationships window and there is nothing.

This is why I don't use wizards - they do things I don't like.

However, what is datatype of the field - number? Do you want to now save text value?

You might have to create a new table. Copy the records from the old table (exclude the old lookup field). Then delete the old table and rename the new one.

I tried deleting record from system table MSysRelationships - modify system tables/records at risk of corrupting database - won't delete.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Comiccradle is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I never set lookups in table. I have NEVER used the lookup data type. I just tested setting up one. The wizard set the properties on the Lookup tab. Then I changed DisplayControl property to textbox. This eliminated the lookup settings but now I can't delete the field or change its type because Access thinks there is a relationship in the Relationships window and there is nothing.

This is why I don't use wizards - they do things I don't like.

However, what is datatype of the field - number? Do you want to now save text value?

You might have to create a new table. Copy the records from the old table (exclude the old lookup field). Then delete the old table and rename the new one.

I tried deleting record from system table MSysRelationships - modify system tables/records at risk of corrupting database - won't delete.
    Thank you for your answer. It is numerical, however as text (as one does in excel). I did this because I have numbers that start with 0. The original table comes from an excel spreadsheet. I agree it is a pain, I did it because I didn't feel like cutting and pasting 740 fields. I didn't know it would create such havoc. Live and learn. I will have to see how I can get around the problem, because now I have an important but useless field in my Tab navigation form.

Thanks for your time.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I am not sure it is useless. I am able to enter data into the field. Just can't delete the field.

You can change the combobox on form to a textbox or delete combobox and create textbox and bind it to text field. Even if the table field still had combobox lookup setting, can bind a textbox to the field.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.