Avizan05 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Question HELP!! Access File Distribution through a Network

Hi,

I have no knowledge or experience in developing Application. I am from a Testing Background.

Recently, For a requirement i tried to Develop an Application using Access and after two months are hardship, i have learnt VBA and Completed the Application using Access.
    Now i have to Install this Access Application for Multi-User Usage.
    Since i am New to the whole development thing i am facing a roadblock.
    Following are the things which i have done.
    1. Completed the application coding part and saved them in Compiled state.
    2. Split the database into Front and Back end files.
    3. when i change the location of the back end file within my system, i have use LINK TABLE MANAGER to update the location

Problem:
    1.In LAN, if i have Back end in one system and copy front end file to multiple user. How to Connect the Front and Back end?
    (Note:I am Using Access 2013 in my Personal system.But the LAN systems(In which Front End file is copied) don't have Access 2013
    2. How to make the application workable for muti - user

I have tried googling for solution but i think i am not search with right 'keyword'. So i am end up with misleading results.
    Could any one kindly help.
    Even if u could share links which have details would do great!!!
    Thanks In Advance

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Avizan05 View Post
    Hi,

I have no knowledge or experience in developing Application. I am from a Testing Background.
    Recently, For a requirement i tried to Develop an Application using Access and after two months are hardship, i have learnt VBA and Completed the Application using Access.
    Now i have to Install this Access Application for Multi-User Usage.
    Since i am New to the whole development thing i am facing a roadblock.
    Following are the things which i have done.
    1. Completed the application coding part and saved them in Compiled state.
    2. Split the database into Front and Back end files.
    3. when i change the location of the back end file within my system, i have use LINK TABLE MANAGER to update the location

Problem:
    1.In LAN, if i have Back end in one system and copy front end file to multiple user. How to Connect the Front and Back end?
    (Note:I am Using Access 2013 in my Personal system.But the LAN systems(In which Front End file is copied) don't have Access 2013
    2. How to make the application workable for muti - user

I have tried googling for solution but i think i am not search with right 'keyword'. So i am end up with misleading results.
    Could any one kindly help.
    Even if u could share links which have details would do great!!!
    Thanks In Advance

Use the linked table manager on the front end, no tables need to be stored on the front end file - it just uses the linked tables.

If they don't have Access 2013 they will need to upgrade unless you want them to use Access 2013 Runtime - note not all interface features will be available in Runtime.

ruegen

I just have two more questions
    1. how to by-pass the network password
    2. how to improve the speed of the network(ie. Application Processin speed)

Ruegen is offline VIP
    ruegen

I just have two more questions
    1. how to by-pass the network password
    2. how to improve the speed of the network(ie. Application Processin speed)
    network speed is determined by the hardware and how well you made your access front end (i.e. if it is pulling long lists every time and 6 people are doing the same task instead of just pulling only what they need then you will see a delay).

hardware can be improved by making sure at a minimum every pc is fairly new, the server is fast (where the back end is) and the network switch box as well as all the ports are gigabit ethernet.

As for the password it depends on the security and network. Each pc can map a network drive - in which case they would have the password already entered. You might be able to code this in as an auto task using VBA but not sure how and what VBA libraries you'd need to use/turn on.

I have tried link table method as u said and It WORKED. Thank u SO MUCH!!
    I dont use a server(We dont have a server our workplace). I have placed my back end in a PC and mapped the location to Front End. When i try to open a form its taking bit long time to open. Is this expected one or is there way to improve the speed by increasing the RAM(Currently using 4GB RAM and all systems are new)

Ruegen is offline VIP
    I have tried link table method as u said and It WORKED. Thank u SO MUCH!!
    I dont use a server(We dont have a server our workplace). I have placed my back end in a PC and mapped the location to Front End. When i try to open a form its taking bit long time to open. Is this expected one or is there way to improve the speed by increasing the RAM(Currently using 4GB RAM and all systems are new)
    That PC is the server. A server is a pc. It might be setup with a network database if logins and you (some not all) might have a network login system (which means instead of logging in and having the user account on the local of hard drive, the login is instead on the server pc). They do that to have more control over the users. Nonetheless there isn't anything fancy about it - it's just a pc primarily setup for networking between other pcs.

Our little server in our office has a hardware raid drive with the database on it.

It has built in gigabit Ethernet to network to the other pcs. It also is a fast computer so it handles things better.

Even the switch is gigabit (that way everything doesn't get bottlenecked)

Of course you can get faster networks but that's pretty much the crux of it. Ram helps, a fast hard drive helps, a fast CPU helps.

thanks a lot buddy...U really helped me in the time of need...

One small doubt does using connection string helps to increase speed? if so could u share a syntax

Quote Originally Posted by Ruegen View Post
    That PC is the server. A server is a pc. It might be setup with a network database if logins and you (some not all) might have a network login system (which means instead of logging in and having the user account on the local of hard drive, the login is instead on the server pc). They do that to have more control over the users. Nonetheless there isn't anything fancy about it - it's just a pc primarily setup for networking between other pcs.

Our little server in our office has a hardware raid drive with the database on it.

It has built in gigabit Ethernet to network to the other pcs. It also is a fast computer so it handles things better.

Even the switch is gigabit (that way everything doesn't get bottlenecked)

Of course you can get faster networks but that's pretty much the crux of it. Ram helps, a fast hard drive helps, a fast CPU helps.

@ Ruegen : In my work place all system are connect through Wired LAN using CISCO 892 router (NET GEAR - Pro Safe 24 Port 10/100 Switch) , All Systems are new and has 4GB RAM(Including the system which has BE).
    We Dont have any server. I dont have any knowledge on LAN....Could tel if it is an efficient system

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.