Rodw is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 64bit

Macro to update another table from a form

Hi all,

I am sure this is a easy question for most of you, but I am struggling to find the right way of going about this.

I have a table which is linked to a form. When a user updates a combox I would like to update this change in another table.
    In my main table linked to my form i would like to copy the following fields;
    Products.ID;Products.Name and update this to a table called Detail.ID;Detail.Name;Detail.Date (this is today's date).

I am not sure how to write the sql or macro to 'afterupdate' function.

If this is to vague, please let me know.

Thanks
    Rod

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It is best to just place the ID or Primary Key value in another table's Foreign Key field. Including both the ID and Name fields from the same record is duplicating data and is not a Normalized data structure. Also, avoid using words that are reserved by Access in names of objects and fields. Date is a reserved word.

Your combo has an After Update event you can place VBA code in. You could use DAO to update a record in another table or SQL or a combination of both. Here is an untested example of DAO adding a record to a table using data from the form's current record. Perhaps you would want to search for a record in the other table and Update a matched record based on the combo selection. I am not real clear on what you are trying to do.

Dim rs as DAO.Recordset
    set rs = Currentdb.Openrecordset("Detail", dbopendynaset)

If rs.eof = true then
    msgbox "There was a problem. No records were found. Now Exiting."
    set rs = nothing
    exit sub
    end if

rs.addnew
    rs![ID] = Me.ID.value
    rs![Date] = Date()
    rs.Update

rs.close
    set rs = nothing

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    The query would be called like: quUpdProdFromForm
    (update or append)

UPDATE Detail Set [date]= " & Date() & " [Name]='" & forms!frmMain!txtName & " where [Products.ID] = " & forms!frmMain!cboBox

The form button ''afterupdate'' action would have the macro name you made...(i.e) mUpdProducts

The macro would have

docmd.openQuery
    quUpdProdFromForm

Rodw is offline Novice
    Thank you both for your reply. I have tried the DOA method and i get the error "msgbox "There was a problem. No records were found. Now Exiting."". I apologies if my original question was not clear enough.
    I'll try again.

On a form I have an ID which is a primary key plus many other fields from a table called products. I would like to populate another table with this ID if a certain record is added or amended, plus add the date of the change.

Therefore Products.Camp in the form can be added or updated.

When this is added or updated then this needs to recorded in a table called Movement. Therefore add the products.ID and Products.camp to Movement.ID and Movement.camp with a time stamp of today in a field called movement.changed.

As I have fields in the form after this field I would like this to run in the background via the macro.

Thank you once again for the assistance.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    It is best to just place the ID or Primary Key value in another table's Foreign Key field. Including both the ID and Name fields from the same record is duplicating data and is not a Normalized data structure. Also, avoid using words that are reserved by Access in names of objects and fields. Date is a reserved word.

Your combo has an After Update event you can place VBA code in. You could use DAO to update a record in another table or SQL or a combination of both. Here is an untested example of DAO adding a record to a table using data from the form's current record. Perhaps you would want to search for a record in the other table and Update a matched record based on the combo selection. I am not real clear on what you are trying to do.

Dim rs as DAO.Recordset
    set rs = Currentdb.Openrecordset("Detail", dbopendynaset)

If rs.eof = true then
    msgbox "There was a problem. No records were found. Now Exiting."
    set rs = nothing
    exit sub
    end if

rs.addnew
    rs![ID] = Me.ID.value
    rs![Date] = Date()
    rs.Update

rs.close
    set rs = nothing

Can you post the code you used?

The message you got was an error trap. The VBA you wrote checked for existing records in the table and did not find any.

This validation is not necessary when appending records but is good to have when updating records.

Rodw is offline Novice
    Here is the code I used.

Option Compare Database

Private Sub Camp_AfterUpdate()
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Movement", dbOpenDynaset)

If rs.BOF = True Then
    MsgBox "There was a problem. No records were found. Now Exiting."
    Set rs = Nothing
    Exit Sub
    End If

rs.AddNew
    rs![ID] = Me.ID.Value
    rs![Date] = Date
    rs.Update

rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    End Sub

Thanks
    Rod

The following will create a new record in the table named "Movement". It will populate the field named ID with the form's current ID field value and the field named Date with the current date. Date() is the current date and Now() is the current date and time.

Code:
     Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
     Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Movement", dbOpenDynaset)

rs.AddNew
     rs![ID] = Me.ID.Value
     rs![Date] = Date
     rs.Update

rs.Close
     Set rs = Nothing
     End Sub
    I removed the error trapping because you do not need it for an append process. I placed it in there because I thought you might want to change things around and UPDATE some records that are relative to the value of your combo.

Let us know how it goes or if we are not understanding what you are trying to accomplish.

Rodw is offline Novice

Thumbs up

Itsme - that works a dream and thank you very much for all of your time and input.
    Regards
    Rod

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.