acannon is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Compact/Repair Database Prevents Opening Forms

I am in the process of building an app in Access 2010. There are a number of forms, some used for data entry and some for "switchboard" use with command buttons. I have both local and linked (SQLServer) tables in the database but all of the forms only enter data into the local tables. Over time I have imported and deleted lots of records into local tables, some via append queries on the linked tables. Things were beginning to run a little sluggish, especially when changing forms and building new forms, so I used the Compact/Repair tool to clean things up. Afterwords I have no issues opening any of the tables or queries in the db, but every time I try to open a form or a report I get an error that says: 'ID' is not an index in this table.

None of the tables except the linked tables have any indexes or RecordID. There is no field named ID in any of the objects in the db. The tables and queries open fine and the structure of the tables is intact. The error popup is also displayed 3 times when I open the db. A table named MSysCompactError was created which contains a single record for error code -1504 and references ErrorTable MSysAccessStorage.

How can I clear up this mess so that I can continue to develop the forms and reports for this application, please?

Alan Cannon
    (self-taught non-expert)

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    All I can guess is that Access is looking for a field or Alias named "ID". Like you mentioned, there is not a field with this name. Locate VBA or Macro or something that is trying to find "ID"

acannon is offline Novice
    I forgot to mention that there are no macros or VBA in the database yet other than a couple of simple form navigation items with the OnClick event of some command buttons.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    It may not gleen much more info but you could try looking inside MSysCompactError

In current database options you can choose to display system objects like tables. Then MSysCompactError will appear in your nav pane with other tables

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.