slw is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Missing "duration" field when using Outlook Journal as a data source

I am trying to link to my Journal in Microsoft Outlook as an Access data source. The link works, and brings in quite a few fields, but not the "Duration" field for some reason. Any ideas? Thanks.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have not tried to link to Journal before. In general, I do not link to things from Access unless it is another RDBMS. I have played around with the Wizard to see what linking to Outlook is like. I found that it is a performance hog. Not all fields that would probably be Imported via the Wizard are available when linking via the Wizard. I believe this is because of the performance issue with linking. Linking to fields that are not popular would be an unnecessary burden.

If I were interested in interacting with the Journal I would probably use VBA and start here
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.14).aspx

slw is offline Novice
    Thanks for your reply ItsMe. Given what you said about the link being a performance hog, I am even more bewildered about the field selection it returns from Journal. The Journal form includes only the following six fields: Subject, Entry Type, Company, Start Time, Duration, and Contents. However, the Access link apparently attempts to link the following twenty fields: Importance, Icon, Priority, Subject, From, Message To, Message CC, Sender Name, CC, To, Received, Message Size, Contents, Created, Modified, Subject Prefix, Has Attachment, Normalized Subject, Object Type, and Subject Unread. Some of the links seem to pull in default values, that can't be changed in the Journal form, but my real problem is that the Entry Type, Company, Start Time, and Duration fields from the Journal form are not linked. Strange and frustrating. It appears there is a standard query applied to all Outlook folder links, regardless of their actual contents.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by slw View Post
    ... It appears there is a standard query applied to all Outlook folder links, regardless of their actual contents.

Having never checked out the Linking to Journal option I can not comment on that. But I will agree with your quote here. This is my experience with linking to Outlook. There is sample code floating around to go after things like attachments and outlook folders. The link I provided only begins to explain how to go after the Journal programmatically. I will guess other Outlook samples combined with intellisense will help in creating code for the Journal.

slw is offline Novice
    Thanks again.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.